1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jackson 2.17 on the Laplace equation

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have problems solving the related Laplace equations in the problem

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial\rho}\rho\frac{\partial g_m(\rho,\rho^')}{\partial\rho}-m^2g_m(\rho,\rho^')}=-4\pi\frac{\delta(\rho-\rho^')}{\rho}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My questions are as follows:
    1. What's the difference between this equation and [tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial\rho}\rho\frac{\partial g_m(\rho)}{\partial\rho}-m^2g_m(\rho)=-4\pi\frac{\delta(\rho)}{\rho}[/tex]?
    2. The solution I found on internet suggests that the solution is different when [tex]\rho > \rho^'[/tex] and [tex]\rho < \rho^'[/tex]. Why?
    Thanks a lot for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. [itex]\rho'[/itex] is just a constant, for the purposes of this equation. You want it in there, because it's needed in the Green function.

2. To find a solution to the equation with the delta source on the rhs, first find the solution with zero on the rhs. You will have some arbitrary constants in the solution. Then, the idea is to take two different solutions and stitch them together such that they produce the delta source term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook