Heat Flow Through a Truncated Cone

In summary, the problem seems best treated in cylindrical coordinates in which there is azimuthal symmetry, and there is no heat loss or generation within the cone, so the thermal conductivity equation reads:$$\vec{q} = -k(\frac{\partial T}{\partial \rho} \hat{\rho} + \frac{\partial T}{\partial z} \hat{z})$$
alex_amvdor
Homework Statement
This is not a homework problem but rather a problem I need to solve for my research, though it seems like something that would be assigned to an undergraduate. There is a similar question asked on this forum, but that question stipulates that each end of our cone is at a constant temperature, while in this problem that is not true of the larger end.

We have a truncated cone made of copper with a small radius ##\rho_1##, a large radius ##\rho_2##, and a height h (thus, the outside radius can be written as a function of z, $$\rho(z) = \frac{\rho_2-\rho_1}{h}z + \rho_1$$). The small face of the cone has a circular heater of radius ##\rho_1## attached to it which is inputting a constant heat flow rate ##\dot{Q}## which is homogeneous over the entire small surface (##\vec{q}## constant over small end), and the small end is at some temperature ##T_1##. All of the heat flows out of the large end of the cone, but the large end does not necessarily have a homogeneous heat flux through it.

The system is in thermal equilibrium. The cone is surrounded otherwise by vacuum, so no heat flows out of the sides. The goal is to find either exactly how homogeneous the heat flow and/or temperature through the large end of the cone is, or at least to find an upper bound on the homogeneity.
Relevant Equations
$$\vec{q} = -k \nabla T$$
IMG_8306.jpg

This problem seems best treated in cylindrical coordinates. There is azimuthal symmetry, and there is no heat loss or generation within the cone, so our thermal conductivity equation reads:
$$\vec{q} = -k(\frac{\partial T}{\partial \rho} \hat{\rho} + \frac{\partial T}{\partial z} \hat{z})$$

We know that the total ##\dot{Q}## flowing through each end is constant, and at the small end ##\vec{q}## is constant as well, so: $$|\vec{q}| = \frac{\dot{Q}}{\pi \rho_1^2}$$

The fact that ##\dot{Q}## must also flow through through the large end means that: $$\dot{Q} = \oint_{z = h} \vec{q}(\rho, z=h) \cdot dA\hat{z}$$ meaning the integral of the heat flux over the entire surface of the large end will give the heat input through the small end. This is also true for any cross-sectional area taken with respect to the z-axis.

The only other boundary condition is that there must be no heat flow through the side walls, so at that boundary all heat flux must be perpendicular to the wall.

These are all the boundary conditions I was able to come up with. I have tried to work through this problem a few different times, but I get stuck very early on every time. The only thing I know is right is that, for z = 0 (over the entire small end):$$\vec{q} = -k\frac{\partial T}{\partial z} \hat{z}$$ as the heat flux is only in the z direction at this end. We also know ##|\vec{q}| = \frac{Q}{\pi \rho_1^2}##, so it seems we can solve this differential equation for some function of##z##, with an unknown function of ##\rho## in there as well.

Expressing the side-wall boundary condition in more mathematical terms:
The side-wall makes an angle ##\theta## with the ##z##-axis, with ##\tan{\theta}=\frac{\rho_2-\rho_1}{h}## so we can define the direction perpendicular to the sidewall as ##\hat{r}_\bot = (\rho, \phi, z) = (\cos{\theta}, \phi, -\sin{\theta})##, for any ##\phi##. The boundary condition is then that $$\vec{q} \cdot \hat{r}_\bot = 0$$ for ##\rho = \rho(z)##. This gives us $$\frac{\partial T}{\partial \rho} \cos{\theta} - \frac{\partial T}{\partial z}\sin{\theta} = 0$$ but as ##\tan{\theta} = \frac{\rho_2-\rho_1}{h}##, we find that $$\frac{\partial T}{\partial \rho} = \frac{\partial T}{\partial z} \cdot \frac{\rho_2-\rho_1}{h}$$ for ##\rho = \rho(z)##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a 2D problem. To solve it accurately (i.e., to quantify the non-uniformity of heat flux at the far end), the 2 dimensionality needs to be taken into account. This can be done by solving the heat conduction equation numerically. The first thing I would do would be to remap the 2 D heat conduction equation onto a cylindrical region.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "remapping" the 2D heat equation onto a cylindrical region. Could you give me some more specifics as to how to begin doing that?

alex_amvdor said:
I'm not totally sure what you mean by "remapping" the 2D heat equation onto a cylindrical region. Could you give me some more specifics as to how to begin doing that?
It would be done by defining a new independent variable in the radial direction as $$R=\frac{r}{r_b(z)}$$where ##r_b(z)## would be the radial location of the boundary at axial position z. So, with this new radial variable, the boundary would be at R = 1 for all axial locations. One would have to use this transformation of variable in re-expressing the radial variable in terms of this new variable in the 2D heat conduction equation (i.e., in the Laplacian).

1. What is heat flow through a truncated cone?

Heat flow through a truncated cone is the transfer of thermal energy from one end of a truncated cone to the other. It occurs due to a difference in temperature between the two ends, and can be calculated using the Fourier's law of heat conduction.

2. How is heat flow through a truncated cone calculated?

Heat flow through a truncated cone is calculated using the Fourier's law of heat conduction, which takes into account the thermal conductivity of the material, the temperature difference between the ends, and the cross-sectional area of the cone.

3. What factors affect heat flow through a truncated cone?

The factors that affect heat flow through a truncated cone include the thermal conductivity of the material, the temperature difference between the ends, and the cross-sectional area of the cone. Other factors such as the shape and size of the truncated cone can also affect heat flow.

4. Is heat flow through a truncated cone a linear process?

No, heat flow through a truncated cone is not a linear process. It follows a non-linear relationship and can be affected by various factors such as temperature and material properties.

5. How can heat flow through a truncated cone be controlled?

Heat flow through a truncated cone can be controlled by changing the factors that affect it, such as the material used, the temperature difference between the ends, and the cross-sectional area of the cone. Insulation materials can also be used to reduce heat flow through a truncated cone.