Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jacobian matrix determinant vanishes

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    What exactly does it mean when the determinant of a Jacobian matrix vanishes? Does that imply that the coordinate transformation is not a good one?

How do you know if you coordinate transformation is a good one or a bad one?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2
    Let me explain further. This is the particular transformation I am looking at:

[itex]\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    x(t) \\
    y(t) \\
    z(t)
    \end{array}
    \right)= R_{z}(\gamma) R_{x}(\beta) R_{z}(\alpha)\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    x_o \\
    y_o \\
    z_o
    \end{array}
    \right)[/itex],

here, the vector [itex](x_{o},y_{o},z_{o})[/itex] is just the initial positions of small pieces of a solid cube, and the angles [itex]\alpha(t)[/itex],[itex]\beta(t)[/itex],[itex]\gamma(t)[/itex] are the Euler angles (all functions of time).

When I expand this out, and form the Jacobian matrix, it's determinant vanishes.

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3
    Probably there is a mistake in your calculation. In the standard forms, the determinant of Rx , Ry and Rz all are 1.0 , for any angles. So is the determinant of their product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook