Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Japan's technology

1. May 18, 2006 #1
    Why is Japan one of the top countries in science and technology ( G-8 )? Many American technological experts see Japan as a country that modify the existing technology not as a pioneer country. Why do they rank Japan as one of the leading countries ( G-8 ) in the world? Is there any major technological breakthrough that Japan invented first before the U.S?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Japan has been known to take other countries technologies and just make it so incredibly efficient or do wild things with it. They aren't known for "inventing" things, they just modify, tinker, and do other creative things with other countries technologies. Notice how they have some far more efficient vehicles then other countries?

4. May 18, 2006 #3
    This thread is nonsensical. I think the subtext is obvious to all.

Nationalism drives China, Japan apart

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  5. May 18, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Who said the G-8 is owned by the United States?

Right, off topic.

6. May 18, 2006 #5
    It might help to know that the G8 is neither a measure of a country's technology sector, nor is it administered by the United States;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G8#Background_and_History

(edited for emphasis to answer Pengwuino's question)

7. May 18, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh ok i see what you meant

8. May 18, 2006 #7
    That's not a bad thing btw. It's a good thing about engineering your take someone elses invention and you make it better.

9. May 18, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh no, i'm not saying it's a bad thing. Every country has something it's good at and if they want to make things better then they originally were, fine by me.

10. May 18, 2006 #9
    You haven't substantiated your theory that there are fewer "new ideas" coming from Japan. It doesn't have much credibility in my view - the country of Maglevs and the Super-KK?

11. May 18, 2006 #10
    I read an article about Japanese Kogals, a subculture of girls 18-22 (thereabouts) who "defy contemporary demands of adolescent femininity by speaking in raw, outspoken, and unexpected ways. They usurp male privilege by exercising the freedom to use language any way they please." They are not the stereotypical subdued Japanese girls.
    http://www.aaanet.org/sla/jla/jla14_2_miller.htm pics at bottom of page

The author (Laura Miller) says, "Regardless of style, young women are at the heart of contemporary Japanese cultural interest and vigor, and it is girls who have been the impetus for many recent technological innovations." So, it may be due in part to heavy demand for new technology.

12. May 18, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

When you look at the past few decades, they aren't as inventive as most others. I mean you pretty much brought up the 2 big things they can be known for. I'm also fairly sure Maglev's were first developed in Europe... although I could be wrong...

and mind you, we are talking about inventions, not improvements or wide-spread deployment

13. May 18, 2006 #12
    I asked for substantation; you merely repeated your assertion.

There are so many pathological things about the very question, there's really no point discussing it. For one thing, "invention" is vague and hard to define - what is truly new and groundbreaking? Things usually don't work that way at all; it's usually the PR media who make it look that way with their talk of "revolutionary science...".

14. May 19, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Is your source of information the media? You also made an assertion with no substantiation. I won't waste my time if you are pre-dispositioned towards not accepting a fact as proof of said assertion; especially ones requiring such time to fulfill.

15. May 19, 2006 #14
    You're the one with the vague, unsubstantiated hunch about a vague, possibly undefinable, certainly meaningless statistic.

16. May 19, 2006 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The VCR, CD, DVD, pacemakers, bioceramics, lean manufacturing and blue LEDs are a few developments from Japan that come to mind.

17. May 19, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

VCR: Dutch
    CD: Dutch
    DVD: Dutch/Japan
    pacemaker: external-Canadian, internal - swedish
    blue LED: Japan

Couldn't find the other 2 although the LED section in wiki looks interesting. By the way, the Dutch references are Phillips.

mind you im talking about the absolute first maker, not.. a japanese company getting it a month later and developing from it

18. May 19, 2006 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I recall correctly, SONY and Phillips partnered on both the CD and the DVD. As for the VCR, I may be using the wrong terminology, but the first domestic use video recorders (ones that didn't cost a million bucks and occuppy half an office room) were developed in Japan. I could be wrong about this though.

PS : Wiki says nothing about Japan in the pacemaker article. Not sure where I got that idea from - but it's one that's been stuck in my head for a while.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  19. May 19, 2006 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

For the DVD, yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD

Bold part is all im interested in, im only talking about very first origination

20. May 19, 2006 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The U-matic? (according to wiki). They made that as the "first commercially available videocassette recorder". "VCR" was first introduced by phillips though. So i guess its more accurate to say the Japanese were the first to come out with a commercially viable video casette recorder

21. May 19, 2006 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?