John Nash and his Wife Killed in Car Accident

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
John Nash said:
It is better to have been, then not to have been, then to have been nothing at all." What truly is logic? Who decides reason? "It is only in the mysterious equations of love that any logic or reason can be found.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PWiz, atyy and Greg Bernhardt
I don't think those are Nash's words micromass. There is not even one usage of the word "love" in his Nobel lecture. I think those are just the screenwriter's imagination to make the movie more dramatic.
 
He had just won 800k/2 =$400,000 dollars. They had just landed at the airport upon their return from Norway where he'd received the prize.

The last time many at Princeton saw Nash was in late March, when the university held a celebration following the announcement that he had won the Abel Prize with Nirenberg.

Nash and his wife had attended the informal campus reception, where colleagues took turns lauding the mathematician. The prize—which came with an $800,000 prize that Nash would split with Nirenberg—was considered the pinnacle of his career.

"The Abel Prize is top-level among mathematics prizes," Nash said in his soft voice at the event, according to an account written by the university's press office. "There's really nothing better."
 
Very sad indeed. My condolences to Nash's family, friends and colleagues.

I have to wonder about a taxi loosing control and hitting a guard rail such that the occupants are ejected. I would imagine the driver was speeding and not paying attention.
Nash and Alicia Nash were in a taxi on the New Jersey Turnpike when the driver lost control and crashed into a guard rail, said New Jersey State Police Sgt. Gregory Williams.
https://gma.yahoo.com/john-nash-beautiful-mind-mathematician-wife-killed-jersey-132906984--abc-news-topstories.html
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Wear your seat belt!
I certainly do.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Wear your seat belt!

I don't take taxis very often. One time was in Los Angeles, from the Amtrak station to our hotel near Disneyland. We were in the back seat. My daughter was 5, and I was having trouble finding the seat belts. The driver started driving and I told him boldly - STOP RIGHT NOW, my daughter isn't belted in yet. He was extremely angry about this. I finally found one seat belt -- hadn't been used maybe ever, it was gross and stiff. I got my daughter in and the driver sped off, driving like a freaking lunatic. He wasn't going to wait for me and my husband to find ours.

He didn't get a tip. In fact he was lucky we even paid the bill.

I guess it's not common for taxi passengers to use seat belts? What kind of magical thinking is this?!
 
lisab said:
I guess it's not common for taxi passengers to use seat belts? What kind of magical thinking is this?!
I don't know about taxis, but neither the buses nor the trolleys in San Diego have seat belts.
 
:cry:

Some small comfort, that they were together?
 
Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
I don't know about taxis, but neither the buses nor the trolleys in San Diego have seat belts.

Yeah public transportation bases do not have seat belts, only for wheelchair occupants. It would be extremely pricey to implement seatbelts on busses (Metro in particular). Hoodlums would keep destroying the seat belts.

Although school buses should have seatbelts.
 
MidgetDwarf said:
Yeah public transportation bases do not have seat belts, only for wheelchair occupants. It would be extremely pricey to implement seatbelts on busses (Metro in particular). Hoodlums would keep destroying the seat belts.

Although school buses should have seatbelts.
Here some school buses have seat belts, some do not, varies by school district. Also, some taxis and limos require passengers to wear seat belts, some don't. Supposedly it is illegal in this state to not wear a seat belt. The taxi I use has seat belts.