Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

John Nash and his Wife Killed in Car Accident

1. May 24, 2015 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2
    Oh wow! How terrible! :frown:

4. May 24, 2015 #3

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Oh...that's sad. I don't know what to say. But that's how the world is.

5. May 24, 2015 #4
  6. May 24, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

7. May 24, 2015 #6

phion

Gold Member

They weren't wearing their seat belts. :frown:

8. May 24, 2015 #7

Lisa!

Gold Member

9. May 24, 2015 #8

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I don't think those are Nash's words micromass. There is not even one usage of the word "love" in his Nobel lecture. I think those are just the screenwriter's imagination to make the movie more dramatic.

10. May 24, 2015 #9
    He had just won 800k/2 =$400,000 dollars. They had just landed at the airport upon their return from Norway where he'd received the prize.

11. May 24, 2015 #10

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Very sad indeed. My condolences to Nash's family, friends and colleagues.

I have to wonder about a taxi loosing control and hitting a guard rail such that the occupants are ejected. I would imagine the driver was speeding and not paying attention.
    https://gma.yahoo.com/john-nash-bea...ed-jersey-132906984--abc-news-topstories.html

12. May 24, 2015 #11
    Wear your seat belt!

13. May 24, 2015 #12

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I certainly do.

14. May 24, 2015 #13
  15. May 24, 2015 #14

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A true poly-math genius, sad indeed.

16. May 24, 2015 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't take taxis very often. One time was in Los Angeles, from the Amtrak station to our hotel near Disneyland. We were in the back seat. My daughter was 5, and I was having trouble finding the seat belts. The driver started driving and I told him boldly - STOP RIGHT NOW, my daughter isn't belted in yet. He was extremely angry about this. I finally found one seat belt -- hadn't been used maybe ever, it was gross and stiff. I got my daughter in and the driver sped off, driving like a freaking lunatic. He wasn't going to wait for me and my husband to find ours.

He didn't get a tip. In fact he was lucky we even paid the bill.

I guess it's not common for taxi passengers to use seat belts? What kind of magical thinking is this?!

17. May 24, 2015 #16
    I don't know about taxis, but neither the buses nor the trolleys in San Diego have seat belts.

18. May 24, 2015 #17
    :cry:

Some small comfort, that they were together?

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  19. May 24, 2015 #18
    Yeah public transportation bases do not have seat belts, only for wheelchair occupants. It would be extremely pricey to implement seatbelts on busses (Metro in particular). Hoodlums would keep destroying the seat belts.

Although school buses should have seatbelts.

20. May 24, 2015 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Here some school buses have seat belts, some do not, varies by school district. Also, some taxis and limos require passengers to wear seat belts, some don't. Supposedly it is illegal in this state to not wear a seat belt. The taxi I use has seat belts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook