Jordan Forms, Algebraic and Geometric Multiplicity

In summary, the Jordan form of the matrix C is Jn(2)\...\Jn(-2) for each n=1,2,3,... where n is the algebraic multiplicities. Any help with Jordan Forms, Algebraic and Geometric Multiplicity will be appreciated.
shaon0

Homework Statement

A 20 × 20 matrix C has characteristic polynomial (λ^2 − 4)^10. It is given that ker(C−2I), ker (C − 2I)^2, ker (C −2I)^3 and ker (C −2I)^4 have dimensions 3,6,8,10 respectively. It is given that ker (C + 2I), ker (C +2I)^2, ker (C +2I)^3 and ker (C +2I)^4 have di-
mensions 3,5,7,8 respectively. What can be said about the Jordan form of C?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the eigenvalues of C are +-2 each w/ a multiplicity of 10. So, the Jordan Forms will be; Jn(2)\...\Jn(-2) for each n=1,2,3,... where n is the algebraic multiplicities.
Any help with Jordan Forms, Algebraic and Geometric Multiplicity will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK,

1) What is the algebraic and geometric multiplicity of your eigenvalues??

2) What does the geometric multiplicity indicate about your Jordan matrix??

3) How would you choose your basis. Theoretically. I know you don't have a matrix here, but what is the general process for choosing the Jordan basis??

4) Can you say anything about [itex]Ker(C-2I)^5[/itex] or [itex]Ker(C+2I)^5[/itex]?? And what about [itex]Ker(C-2I)^6[/itex] or [itex]Ker(C+2I)^6[/itex]??

micromass said:
OK,

1) What is the algebraic and geometric multiplicity of your eigenvalues??

2) What does the geometric multiplicity indicate about your Jordan matrix??

3) How would you choose your basis. Theoretically. I know you don't have a matrix here, but what is the general process for choosing the Jordan basis??

4) Can you say anything about [itex]Ker(C-2I)^5[/itex] or [itex]Ker(C+2I)^5[/itex]?? And what about [itex]Ker(C-2I)^6[/itex] or [itex]Ker(C+2I)^6[/itex]??

1) Alg. Multiplicity for each eigenvalue is 10 where eigenvalues are +-2. Not sure how to find the geometric multiplicity. Probably my biggest issue with this topic.

2) Geometric multiplicity is the no. of jordan blocks for each eigenvalue w/ 1 on top of each diagonal entry in the matrix C.

3) Gram-Schmidt, Householder's. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure.

4) Does Ker(C-2I)^6=Union {n=1 to 5} Ker(C-2I)^n. Same goes for Ker(C+2I)^6. I'm also not sure about this.

shaon0 said:
1) Alg. Multiplicity for each eigenvalue is 10 where eigenvalues are +-2. Not sure how to find the geometric multiplicity. Probably my biggest issue with this topic.

The geometric multiplicity is just [itex]Ker(C-\lambda I)[/itex] where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is your eigenvalue. So you are given your geometric multiplicities.

2) Geometric multiplicity is the no. of jordan blocks for each eigenvalue w/ 1 on top of each diagonal entry in the matrix C.

Good. And now that you know the geometric multiplicity, what is the number of Jordan blocks?

3) Gram-Schmidt, Householder's. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure.

It's quite easy, you need to construct "chains". For example, if

[tex]Ker(C-\lambda I)=3, ~Ker(C-\lambda I)^2=4, ~Ker(C-\lambda I)^3=5[/tex]

then you start by taking a v in [itex]Ker(C-\lambda I)^3[/itex] and you construct the chain

[tex]\{v,(C-\lambda I)v, (C-\lambda I)^2v\}[/tex]

If none of these vectors is zero, then you found three elements of your basis. These three elements correspond to a 3x3 Jordan block.

Try to use this to figure out the Jordan blocks in your matrix.

4) Does Ker(C-2I)^6=Union {n=1 to 5} Ker(C-2I)^n. Same goes for Ker(C+2I)^6. I'm also not sure about this.

No, all you know that for large enough n: [itex]Ker(C-2I)^n=10[/itex] (= the algebraic multiplicity).

micromass said:
The geometric multiplicity is just [itex]Ker(C-\lambda I)[/itex] where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is your eigenvalue. So you are given your geometric multiplicities.

Good. And now that you know the geometric multiplicity, what is the number of Jordan blocks?

It's quite easy, you need to construct "chains". For example, if

[tex]Ker(C-\lambda I)=3, ~Ker(C-\lambda I)^2=4, ~Ker(C-\lambda I)^3=5[/tex]

then you start by taking a v in [itex]Ker(C-\lambda I)^3[/itex] and you construct the chain

[tex]\{v,(C-\lambda I)v, (C-\lambda I)^2v\}[/tex]

If none of these vectors is zero, then you found three elements of your basis. These three elements correspond to a 3x3 Jordan block.

Try to use this to figure out the Jordan blocks in your matrix.

No, all you know that for large enough n: [itex]Ker(C-2I)^n=10[/itex] (= the algebraic multiplicity).

Oh ok, thank you. I've kind of got it, will need to do a couple of more questions though to solidify the knowledge. Thanks again, really appreciate it :)

What are Jordan Forms?

Jordan Forms are a type of matrix representation that is used to simplify calculations in linear algebra. They are named after mathematician Camille Jordan and are a useful tool for studying the properties of a matrix.

What is Algebraic Multiplicity?

Algebraic Multiplicity is the number of times a particular eigenvalue appears as a root of the characteristic polynomial of a matrix. It is also the number of times an eigenvalue appears as a solution to the characteristic equation.

What is Geometric Multiplicity?

Geometric Multiplicity is the number of linearly independent eigenvectors associated with a particular eigenvalue. It represents the number of directions in which a linear transformation stretches or compresses a vector.

How are Algebraic and Geometric Multiplicity related?

The Algebraic Multiplicity of an eigenvalue is always greater than or equal to the Geometric Multiplicity. They are equal if and only if there are enough linearly independent eigenvectors to span the entire eigenspace.

What is the importance of Jordan Forms, Algebraic and Geometric Multiplicity in linear algebra?

Jordan Forms, Algebraic and Geometric Multiplicity are important concepts in linear algebra as they provide a way to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of linear transformations. They also help in solving systems of differential equations and in studying the stability of dynamical systems.