1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jumping a Crevasse (Projectile Motion)

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mountain climber jumps a crevasse by leaping horizontally with speed vo. If the climber's direction of motion on landing is [tex]\vartheta[/tex] below the horizontal, what is the height difference between the two sides of the crevasse?

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure, but I think it's y=h-1/2gt2

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first thought was to just manipulate the equation to give h=y+1/2gt2, but I'm sure that's not right. What's really confusing me is [tex]\vartheta[/tex], because I'm not sure how knowing that is pertinent.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi Annan. welcome to PF.
    In the projectile motion horizontal velocity vo remains constant. But the vertical velocity increases. And it is given by v = gt......(1)
    If θ is the angle of landing then tanθ = v/vo.....(2)
    Difference in height Δh = 1/2*g^t^2 ........(3)
    Using eq. 1 and 2, eliminate t and v and find Δh in terms of vo, g and tanθ.

4. Jan 25, 2010 #3
    This is probably a dumb question, but in y=h-1/2gt^2, is y the final height, and therefore equal to 0?

5. Jan 25, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Not necessarily. In the problem you have to find (h - y) which is Δh = 1/2*g*t^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook