1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jumping off the front of a boat

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A boat is moving at .5 m/s relative to the ground with a passenger riding inside of the boat. If the passenger jumps off of the front of the boat at a velocity of 4.0 m/s (relative to the boat), what is the total velocity of the passenger relative the the ground/water?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the answer should be 5.0 m/s, but I am having trouble explaining this. I believe it comes from the momentum of the passenger along with the momentum of the boat being transferred to the passenger when he jumps giving him a velocity of 1.0 m/s + the 4.0 giving a total of 5.0 m/s. Can someone better explain this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2
    Does this problem give the mass of the passenger and the mass of the boat?

I don't think it's possible for the speed of the passenger, relative to the ground, to be greater than 4.5 m/s.
    If the mass of the boat M is much larger than the mass of the passenger m, m << M, than the greatest speed possible for the passenger, relative to the ground, for M->Infinity, should be 4.5 m/s.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  4. Feb 20, 2010 #3
    That is what I was thinking too, but the answer key to the book says 5.0m/s, but it doesn't explain why. Yeah, the mass of the passenger is 72 kg. The mass of the boat is 1000 kg.

5. Feb 20, 2010 #4
    Good Morning,

I just happened to be logged on...

Here's the picture I've drawn for the problem:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4843/boat1st.jpg [Broken]

In this picture, [itex] \rm v_i[/itex] = .5 m/s, v = 4 m/s, m = 72 kg, and M = 1000 kg.

I get 4.23 m/s for the final speed of the passenger relative to the ground (a frame at rest), which corresponds to [itex] \rm v_f + v[/itex] in my picture.

I messed up a similar problem last week, so I might be making an error here. Perhaps someone else will take a look.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Feb 20, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

fishy welcome to pf!

hi fish399! welcome to pf! :smile:
    use conservation of momentum, together with vp - vb = 4.0 :wink:

(but I don't see how it can be more than 4.5 :confused: … are you sure all the numbers in the question are correct?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook