1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Jumping vertically on a moving train...

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1
    I'm clueless when it comes to physics, so forgive me if this sounds stupid. But fot years I've wondered something, and no one seems to have an answer for it.

If you are standing inside a moving bus or train, and you jump on the spot (straight up,not in the direction that the vehicle is moving) then how come you land on the same bit of flooring that you started on? The vehicle is moving, so shouldn't it have left you behind slightly,thus you land further down the vehicle?? If that makes sense? Someone enlighten me please

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2016 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

This is Newton's first law:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion
    Or more broadly, the Principle of Relativity:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galilean_invariance

4. Mar 6, 2016 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no ... think about it a moment before I give an answer

what is the immediate relationship between you, everything else in the vehicle and the vehicle ?

your same Q could be asked for when you jump up off the ground (up off the earth)
    after all it's rotation speed is much faster .... equatorial speed of 465.1 m/s, 1,674.4 km/h or 1,040.4 mph

Dave

5. Mar 6, 2016 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Mar 6, 2016 #5
    Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. But let me stress something. I'm thick as s**t. So russ watters I'm afraid that went over my head a bit... could you explain a bit simpler please mate. Much appreciated

7. Mar 6, 2016 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Movement is relative. The vehicle is not moving relative to you.

8. Mar 6, 2016 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You, everything in it and the train, bus etc are moving at the same speed

That's what I wanted you to figure out

So when you jump up, you are still moving at that speed, there is nothing to slow you down,
    so you end up landing in the same place you jumped from

9. Mar 6, 2016 #8
    Right ok I think I get it...So say if you were on the roof of the train as opposed to inside,and you jumped..you wouldn't land on the same spot then would you?

10. Mar 6, 2016 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

that's true, because (say on a calm, no wind day) there would still be significant wind resistance against you and would cause you to land behind the point you jumped from

adding a wind from any direction will vary the results

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted