Junior in Engineering: Bio, Elec, or Mechanical

In summary, the speaker, Javi, introduces himself as a former lurker on a platform and shares his background as a junior at the University of Illinois at Chicago, where his tuition is covered by the VA due to his service in the Air Force. He is interested in engineering but also has a passion for other subjects such as economics, politics, and history. He struggles with choosing a specific field of study and is worried about his future at 26 years old. He mentions considering switching back to BioEngineering but is afraid of not finding a job. He asks for advice on projects or hobbies to pursue and expresses his appreciation for any help.
JavierOlivares
Hello. My name is Javier Olivares. I have been a lurker for sometime but decided to finally begin to be an active member. I really want to get some help/advice. I'm currently a junior at the University of Illinois at Chicago. I'm 26 years young where the VA covers my tuition from serving four years of active duty U.S. Air Force. My job titles for the Air Force where tech support for telephones and network admin/desktop support. I basically just got A+ certification and that's what my job had previously entailed. After the service, I had always wanted to do something with Math and Science, and I also always wanted to get a college education. I attended a somewhat prestigious High School for a Chicago public school called Lane Tech so my education background is somewhat moderate (enough fo me to take Calc 1 after a 7 year break freshman year).

After much flip flopping I realized I really do want to be an engineer but I have a dilemma. I keep finding things that interest me like economics, politics, history, physics, all the engineering fields, etc. Not a bad problem but tough when I keep switching around. I never pursued the arts nor will I like to (I have found a very profound interest in cryptocurrency but that's a different story). But right now I am an electrical engineering major. My grades so far have been pretty average where my math and physics not performing too well with a couple B's and a handful of C's. But I am confident in myself to know that I might not have been doing the best I could and can do much better. Last semester, I finally got straight As getting my GPA back up to a 3.1. I took 2 BioEngineering courses and 1 electrical engineering intro (and a GenEd). I really am writing cause I still get worried of my future. I've never known what I want to pursue.A lot of things interest me just not something I don't know how to focus on. I just worry about making a wrong turn now that I am 26 and the youth just keeps getting smarter and smarter it feels like. I hope to get some help in my the rest of my engineering courses but more important advice on what I could do to feel better about myself.
Cliff (Scroll here if above too long):
Recently thought again about switching back to BioEngineering but being afraid of not finding a job. I just feel worried that Electrical is too difficult for me to pursue as many people have said it's one of the more rigorous of all engineering. I even recently considered doing mechanical but who knows. Also, I have one month left before I head back to school any advice for projects that I can do myself or a hobbie please let me know. I been working on solidworks and 3-D printing but that's about it. I look forward to hear back from someone.

Also note I already have a semester of BioEngineering done but switch so switching back would be a faster graduation rate

Javi

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your service in the USAF!

Go for what you like the most. You will work harder at it, and so become better.

1. What is the difference between Bio, Elec, and Mechanical engineering?

Bioengineering involves the use of engineering principles to solve problems in the fields of biology and medicine. Electrical engineering focuses on the design and development of electrical systems and devices. Mechanical engineering deals with the design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. Each field has its own unique applications and areas of focus.

2. How do I choose between Bio, Elec, and Mechanical engineering?

Choosing between these fields depends on your interests and career goals. Consider what subjects you enjoy and what problems you want to solve. Research the job market and the types of projects that each field typically works on. Talk to professionals in each field to get a better understanding of the day-to-day work and potential career opportunities.

3. What skills are important for a Junior in Engineering?

Junior engineering students should have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They should also have a basic understanding of engineering principles and be able to work well in a team. In addition, communication skills, time management, and attention to detail are important for success in any engineering field.

4. Is it possible to switch between Bio, Elec, and Mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to switch between these fields, but it may require additional coursework or training. Many engineering programs offer a common first-year curriculum, allowing students to explore different fields before declaring a major. It is also common for engineers to work on projects that involve multiple disciplines, so there may be opportunities to gain experience in different fields within your career.

5. Are there any specific industries where Bio, Elec, or Mechanical engineering is in high demand?

All three fields have a wide range of applications and can be in high demand in various industries. However, bioengineering is often in demand in the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries, while electrical engineering is commonly sought after in the technology and telecommunications industries. Mechanical engineering is essential in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. It is important to research the job market and industries that align with your interests and skills when deciding on a specific engineering field.