1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just a quick question about partial derivatives

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    Not a homework question, but It will help me none the less,

In my book it says

[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |\Psi(x,t)|^2 dx [/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\Psi(x,t)|^2 dx [/tex]

I understand how It becomes a partial derivative, since I'm differentiating psi with respect to x and t

But what I don't understand Is how you can just move [tex] \frac{d}{dt} [/tex]
    into an integral, why can you do that? I don't understand the rules behind it,

for example
    (i'm just making this up)
    [tex] \frac{d}{dt} \int_0^2 2xt dx [/tex]
    I'm first going to integrate the inside function then differentiate it with respect to t
    before I try the other way of moving dt inside the integral

[tex] \int_0^2 2xt dx = \left \frac{2x^2t}{2} \right|_0^2 [/tex]
    the equation becomes
    [tex] \left x^2t\right|_0^2 [/tex]
    putting in 2, I get 2^2 *t
    = 4t
    differentiating that,
    [tex] \frac{d}{dt} 4t = 4 [/tex]

now i'll try the other way by moving in the partial derivative

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial}{\partial t} 2xt dx [/tex]
    I've only done one math paper before, and 5 physics papers,
    so I don't know how to solve partial derivatives in the conventional sense,
    but what I have picked up is, that a physicists first line of attack to any partial derivative, is separation of variables,
    so uh, i'm not too sure how i do it in this context, since I can't separate x,t the way I can separate [tex] \Psi , \textrm{ which I can rewrite as } \psi(x)\phi(x) [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2
    [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial}{\partial t} 2xt dx, = 2x [/tex]

that's from differentiating 2xt, treating x as a constant, d/dt 2t = 2, so the t disappears

[tex] \int_0^2 2x dx = \int_0^2 \frac{2x^2}{2} dx = \left x^2\right|_0^2 [/tex]

so 2^2 = 4

so i've just proved for the equation 2xy

[tex] \frac{d}{dy} \int_a^b F(x,y) dx \textrm{ is equivalent to } \int_a^b \frac{\partial}{\partial y} F(x,y) dx [/tex]

meh

Is this true for all equations?

4. Apr 29, 2010 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is an application of the general concept of "differentiation under the integral sign" or the Leibiz Integral Rule. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LeibnizIntegralRule.html.

5. Apr 29, 2010 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a and b are constants, yes. This is essentially the fundamental theorem of calculus.

If either a or b is a function of y (or if both are a function of y) then the above is not true. You need to use the more generic form of the Liebniz Integral Rule to compute derivative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook