Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just Bought a Kindle - Science Anybody?

1. Jun 27, 2010 #1
    Just purchased a Kindle, and I'm pretty excited about it. I spend plenty of time on the road so I imagine the 'text to speach' audio function will translate Hawking's works rather well ;) Do any of you Kindle users have suggestions for any science related texts or blogs/publications?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2010 #2
    The first thing I read was Carl Sagan's contact (I have a PDF - unfortunately its not in the kindle store).

I mostly use my kindle for reading PDFs, as very few textbooks are available in the kindle store. Amazon also lets you convert PDFs to kindle format, but for texts rich in diagrams and equations the process doesn't work as well.

Reading literature is very nice though.

If you're interested in scanning books you already own, check out www.diybookscanner.org

You don't need to built a book scanner out of anything more complicated than cardboard and ducktape to get good results, especially if you have good software for processing. There are even iPhone apps such as Page Scanner which will do the entire process on your phone, including conversion to PDF with OCR, cropping batches of pages, etc.
  4. Aug 13, 2010 #3
    I am interested in reading PDF's on an e-reader too. Do you have a regular Kindle, or a DX?
  5. Aug 13, 2010 #4
    I understand the Kindle has a simple web browser. How is it at reading PDFs from the web? For example, from the arXiv?
  6. Aug 13, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't believe it can, it doesn't have a native PDF reader.
    you email the PDF to Amazon who convert it to kindle format and send it to your device.
    (or i think you can convert and transfer directly form a computer with a USB link)
  7. Aug 13, 2010 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have heard that the Kindle has trouble with any complex PDFs, including anything with math -- I don't know if that's trouble with the converter or something in the Kindle itself. I have also heard that the Kindle DX fixes this.

But if it's important to you, don't trust my secondhand knowledge...
  8. Aug 14, 2010 #7

This is really old news. Kindle came out with a firmware upgrade sometime back that allowed one to access PDFs without having to convert them. To make things better, not only does it read PDF, but the latest firmware upgrade allows one to pan and zoom thereby allowing one to look closely into all those small graphs one might find in all these scientific texts.

Still nothing quite like sitting in a library, but we'll get there someday.
  9. Aug 14, 2010 #8

Gold Member

Isn't a kindle a stick, one of many, used to start a fire?
  10. Aug 14, 2010 #9
    Why not a Ipad?
  11. Aug 14, 2010 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes - The kindle 3 and the DX can view PDF natively, sorry I first looked at the original to read PDFs on and didn't buy one because of this.

According to a Q+A on the amazon site
    “While you can browse different websites, you would not be able to download any attachments. If for example you’d like to download the .pdf file while accessing your e-mail account, you’d have to save this attachment using your computer and transfer to Kindle using the USB cable."

iPads cost 4x as much, have much shorter battery life and are more difficult to read in bright light.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook