Just couldnt figure this out = (2)

• Thread starter toni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical equation and its derivatives. The question is whether taking the nth derivative of the given equation would result in zero. The solution sheet presents a different expression and there is confusion about whether it is a typo or a different problem. The conversation ends with the suggestion to double check the solution.
toni
I just don't understand why it goes like this...why 'therefore'?

i know (x^2)f''(x)+xf'(x)+((x^2)-1)f(x)) = x(xf''(x)+f'(x)+xf(x)) - f(x), but why it goes to zero when taking (d^n/dx^n)?

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
"It is given that xf"+ f'+ xf= 0"

and then it concluded
[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n}(x^2f"+ xf '+ (x^2-1)f)= 0[/tex]
for any positive integer n and for x in (-r, r).

There is clearly something missing. Where did that "r" come from? Was there something more before this?

Sorry, i shouldve made things clearer.
Here is everything before this. r is the radius of convergence.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 434
Hmmm..it's actually on a solution sheet. I stuck at that point when i tried to go through it again before midterm...

the question is here, just in case. Thank you soooo much!

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 402
can anyone tell me...

If xf"+f'+xf = 0

Is d^n/dx^n (xf"+f'+xf) = 0 ??

cos the solution says d^n/dx^n [x(xf"+f'+f)-f] = 0...that puzzles me. --'

toni said:
can anyone tell me...

If xf"+f'+xf = 0

Is d^n/dx^n (xf"+f'+xf) = 0 ??

Yes, since

[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n} (xf''+f'+xf)=\frac{d^n}{dx^n}(0)=0[/tex]

; that is, since the quantity your taking the nth derivative of is by supposition always zero...

cos the solution says d^n/dx^n [x(xf"+f'+f)-f] = 0...that puzzles me. --'

That puzzles me too!...

[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n} [x(xf''+f'+xf)-f]=\frac{d^n}{dx^n}[(0)-f]=\frac{-d^nf}{dx^n} \neq 0[/tex]

... perhaps that line in your solutions manual was a typo, and it was supposed to be an[itex]x^2f(x)[/itex] instead of an [itex](x^2-1)f(x)[/itex]...are you sure you are looking at the solution to the given problem and nota different problem by accident?

1. What does the number "2" in "Just couldnt figure this out = (2)" represent?

The number 2 represents the solution to the equation or problem that the person could not figure out.

2. Is there any context or background information needed to solve this equation?

Without any context or background information, it is difficult to determine the meaning and solution of the equation. More information is needed to solve it accurately.

3. Could the number "2" have multiple meanings in this equation?

Yes, the number 2 could have multiple meanings depending on the context of the equation. It could represent a numerical value, a variable, or a placeholder.

4. What strategies can be used to figure out the solution to this equation?

Some strategies that can be used to solve equations include substitution, elimination, factoring, and graphing. It is important to also understand the rules and properties of algebra to solve equations accurately.

5. Is there a specific method to solve this equation or is it open to interpretation?

Without any context or information, it is difficult to determine a specific method to solve the equation. However, there are general rules and techniques in algebra that can be applied to solve equations.