Just for interests sake, on a Saturday night

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in foam production when adding ice to different types of drinks, specifically rum and coke versus vodka and sprite/lemonade. The individuals speculate that the density and sugar content of the drinks may play a role in the foam production. However, evidence suggests that while coke is denser than sprite, diet coke is not, indicating that there may be other factors at play. The conversation also mentions a simple experiment to measure relative density using water and potentially alcohol or salt.
Cara333
Why is there an excess of foam when I add ice to rum and coke?

When I add ice to vodka and sprite/lemonade there is a short burst of foam which quickly dissipates.

What causes the reactions to differ? Sugar?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Coke is foamier than Sprite even without alcohol.
It's way less fun to do this experiment than yours, but such is the sacrifice of the scientist.o0)

As a Diet Coke drinker, I can tell you it is pretty foamy too, so I don;t think it's about the sugars themselves.
I do believe that cola is denser than Sprite - it has a higher syrup to water ratio.

Last edited:
Update:
evidence suggests I am only partially right. While Coke is denser than Sprite, Diet Coke is not.

Density in g/mL
Cola: 1.11
Sprite: 1.037
Diet Cola: 1.00
Diet Sprite: .9965

http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/print_project_1289_150
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120702130702AA5MzEG

This shows a trivial way to measure relative density:
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchembook/121Adensitycoke.html
Just float them in water.
If you need a finer-tuned measurement, just add a measured amount of alcohol until they sink, or add salt to until they float.

Likes Cara333

1. What is "Just for interests sake"?

"Just for interests sake" is a phrase commonly used to express that something is being done purely out of curiosity or for enjoyment, without any specific purpose or goal.

2. Why do people say "Just for interests sake" on a Saturday night?

Saturday nights are often a time for relaxation and leisure, so people may use the phrase "just for interests sake" to indicate that they are doing something purely for fun or out of curiosity, rather than for work or obligation.

3. Is "Just for interests sake" the same as "just for fun"?

Yes, "just for interests sake" and "just for fun" have similar meanings and can be used interchangeably. They both convey the idea of doing something for enjoyment rather than for any practical purpose.

4. What are some examples of things people do "just for interests sake" on a Saturday night?

Some examples may include trying out a new hobby, watching a movie or TV show, playing a board game, reading a book, or exploring a new area in their city.

5. Is it important to have activities "just for interests sake" in our lives?

Yes, having activities that we do purely for enjoyment or curiosity can help us relax, de-stress, and explore new interests or skills. It can also add more balance and joy to our lives.