Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just got 50 on my first Calc II test

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    Three more tests left

is it still possible to end up with A in this class

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2
    There's not enough information here to figure it out, but it sounds like an algebra problem. If you can't solve it, then perhaps it will be difficult to get a good grade in a calculus class.

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    I know if I get 100 on next three tests my average will be 87.5

but is it doable?

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4
    It's doable, but will you do it is the ultimate question

6. Sep 15, 2009 #5
    yes

tell me what I need to do

I'll do anything, by that I mean ANYTHING

7. Sep 15, 2009 #6
    You need to change what you were doing before ASAP because it didn't work, and commit to another plan.

I think the only way to learn math better is work out as many problems as possible. That means you have to spend more hours per day studying. Also ask alot questions in class, that will save you time finding the answer on your own, also ask friends for help, and of course PF is more that welcome to help you with your math problems. You just have to put in more effort.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  8. Sep 15, 2009 #7
    Okay I'll do that. I've been playing poker too much lately. That needs to stop

9. Sep 15, 2009 #8
    Repeat that word for word to your professor.

10. Sep 15, 2009 #9
    This made me laugh, not sure if it was supposed to... (-__-')

11. Sep 15, 2009 #10
  12. Sep 15, 2009 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look up your professor's office hours. Put them on your calendar for every week from now until the final exam. Be sure to attend them and ask questions about the things you do not understand.

If the problem is that you were playing poker rather than studying, that is very easy to resolve...start studying instead of playing poker.

13. Sep 15, 2009 #12
    lots of memorization required there. best calc II class i had, we were tested every week. good for keeping up and not getting behind. not something you can effectively cram for. study some every day.

14. Dec 10, 2009 #13
    So I ended up getting 85

On the last day of class the prof asks why I didn't fix the 50.

I seriously didn't know I had the chance to make up!

suks

15. Dec 10, 2009 #14
    Of course, if you would have repeated word for word to the professor you would have known.....

16. Dec 10, 2009 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats on pulling your grade back up! Hopefully that means you've figured out what you need to do to study better now and will continue to do well in your future courses applying your new skills.

Sounds like you still need to remember you're given a syllabus for a reason. This is your instruction manual for the course, make sure you read it carefully and are aware when such things are or aren't allowed.

17. Dec 10, 2009 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nice work!

But what's truly amazing is that he updated this old thread! No one ever does!

18. Dec 10, 2009 #17
    particularly in relationships forum ..

19. Dec 11, 2009 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you being facetious? People updating threads discussing their calculus scores in the relationship forum seems to be one of the distinctive attributes of PF.

I understand those people completely. Geez, if only I'd just let Bianca Rizzimanzi copy my Calculus homework back in 1975, I could have lost my virginity before the age of 37! How my life would have changed!

With sex to look forward to, I probably wouldn't have dropped out of college and hitch hiked to California!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook