Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just something to think about.

1. May 23, 2006 #1

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2006 #2
    That's a good idea for P&WA.

4. May 23, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You want PF to think about changing its skin to look like a video game?

5. May 23, 2006 #4
    No he ment to ban certin poltical topics.

But having a skin that looks a video game wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe not that one.:biggrin: (I might be seouris)

6. May 24, 2006 #5

J77

I don't think censoring discussion is ever a good idea.

If a topic derails, the mods should lock or delete the post, but not allowing a topic simply because it discusses sensitive issues is not good.

For example, in the link in the OP, they suggest not to discuss the Isreali-Palestinian conflict - I have no idea why this should be not allowed!

7. May 24, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Go talk to Evo about whether or not censoring is a good idea. Better yet, do Evo's job of moderating such discussions and then consider whether or not censoring is a good idea. Theres a difference between censorship and keeping order

8. May 24, 2006 #7

J77

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Not if, like the boards in the OP do, keeping order means the restriction of certain topics.

And, why bring the moderator into it?

I know, through first-hand experience, what it's like to mod a busy board, and deleting posts/banning persistent trolls is part of the job.

9. May 24, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well maybe you can talk to Evo and ask for the job of moderating PWA. I'm sure she'd love to get rid of that job. Don't try to ignore the major reason a lot of these discussions are closed. You obviously haven't really done any meaningful moderation or you haven't moderated such a heated topic such as politics or haven't moderated for a forum with such high standards as PF. From what I hear, most of the things that need to be deleted never get a chance to be read by forum viewers in the first place so what we see is just teh tip of the ice berg :eek:

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  10. May 26, 2006 #9

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Something more along the lines of forum specific banned topic lists: no creationsim or ID in Biology; no perpetual motion or Brown gas in the physics and engineering forums; no hollow earth, deluge, or rapid crustal movement in Earth --- that sort of thing. Phil. and P&WA? Who cares? Same handful of people, endlessly chanting the same tired litanies, to no apparent end, accomplishing nothing --- boorrriiiinnnnngggggg.

11. May 26, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The mods have expressed an interest in keeping the image of the forum up to a certain standard so i dont think they want to just ignore it.

12. May 26, 2006 #11

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good! Someone else brought up the "i" word --- https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=121944 is an example of "image" that could be improved. The thread belongs in GD, S&D, a subforum of S&D, "Pseudoscience & Nonsense," or the "landfill of wasted electrons."

13. May 26, 2006 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I couldn't handle P&WA without Moonbear & LYN.

Bystander, we do already ban certain discussions, so what you are suggesting isn't unrealistic.

14. May 26, 2006 #13
    PW&A seems to be much less exciting these days (good thing), now that we're essentially troll-free. Kudos to the Mods. Ironically, it also seems to have very low participation - many interesting threads die with only two or three posts, an exposition with no discussion. The threads that do thrive seem to contain more soliloquy than back-and-forth talk - an indication of a subcritical number of participants, I think.

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  15. May 26, 2006 #14
    A while ago I remember one of the Mods asked members to write stickies clearing up the most common misconceptions, so that the same questions wouldn't keep recurring twice a week. Apparently it's really hard to write this kind of tutorial, because very few took up the challenge. This doesn't seem to be too big of a problem though, as offending threads are usualy locked without much ado, after a quick referral to a previous discussion or FAQ.

16. May 27, 2006 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The trolls are gone? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If you'll look at the name of this forum, you might understand why we have such a low PWA participation. I'm amazed such participation is so high. But then again... well Evo knows why :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

17. Jun 1, 2006 #16

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

--- and, this little eyesore, recently resurrected ---
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=51526

Image? Two thousand plus views --- gives the appearance that such nonsense is taken seriously.

Maybe a "Hall of Shame" instead of the "TD Disaster" where the mods can place such things --- part of GD, lock 'em, but leave 'em publicly pilloried, labelled, as garbage --- examples of things that simply are NOT science.

18. Jun 1, 2006 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha i hope that isnt locked or deleted anytime soon, i still want to read it! I saw some of the last pages responses and im like "whoa this sounds like a laugh a minute thread, ill have to read it all later!"

19. Jun 1, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most of those topics are locked or deleted pretty quickly. We do take the time to clarify misconceptions in an effort to educate those who are open to it, but if they are here to peddle crackpot theories rather than learn, they don't last long. I wouldn't want to ban any and all questions on those topics, because there are people who come here knowing there is something wrong with those "theories" but don't really have the educational background to fully understand what or how to refute them in discussions with others, and I want those people to be able to ask and get clarification so they can help spread the correct information. It's the only way we can push back against the tide of misinformation spread every day is to educate anyone willing to come here to learn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?