1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just wondering if I set this up oK

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified axis.

2. Relevant equations

y = x^2 +1 , y = 9-x^2: about y = -1

3. The attempt at a solution

I used disks. I said that r = 1 + ((9-x^2)-(x^2 +1 )) = 9 - 2x^2
    So my integral all together is

V = ∏ ∫ (9 - 2x^2)^2 dx from [-2,2]

Does this set up look correct.???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2
    Also I have another one I would like to confirm.
    This one your supposed to set up the integral not evaluate for the volume of a solid.
    y = tanx, y = x, x = pi/3 : about the y axis.
    I have
    V = 2∏∫ x(tanx - x) dx between 0 and ∏/3
    I think it is good but just to be safe.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Did you draw a sketch? Actually, two sketches would be useful - one of the region defined by the two curves, and another that shows the solid of revolution.

Disks won't work, but washers will. A washer is a disk with a hole in its middle. For a typical volume element, the outer radius goes from the line y = -1 to the curve y = 9 - x2. The inner radius goes from the line y = -1 to the curve y = x2 + 1.

5. Sep 16, 2013 #4

Mark44

Looks OK to me. It would have been helpful to indicate that your using shells.

6. Sep 16, 2013 #5
    Yeah I always draw it. Sorry for the confusion with the other problem not indicating I was using shells.

So what about this. r = inner radius, R = outer radius
    r = 1 + ( x^2 + 1) R = 1+ (9-x^2)
    So V = ∏∫( x^2 +2)^2 - (10-x^2)^2 dx I think that is it but I have a little trouble with the radius sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  7. Sep 16, 2013 #6

Mark44

Your radii are correct but the integral isn't. The volume of a washer is ##\pi(R^2 - r^2)(\text{thickness})##.

8. Sep 16, 2013 #7
    I just mean minus. Check it out I edited.

9. Sep 16, 2013 #8
    V = ∏∫(10-x^2)^2 -( x^2 +2)^2 dx GRR.

10. Sep 16, 2013 #9

Mark44

That's better.

11. Sep 16, 2013 #10
    It is like I'm thinking one thing and typing another. Thanks for the confirmation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted