1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kdv solution solitons Bilinear Operator

1. Dec 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm solving for ##f_1## from ##B(f_{1}.1+1.f_{1})## from ## \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial^{3}}{\partial x^{3}})f_n=-\frac{1}{2}\sum^{n-1}_{m=1}B(f_{n-m}.f_{m}) ##

where ##B=D_tD_x+D_x^4##, where ##B## is the Bilinear operator.

2. Relevant equations

(above)

3. The attempt at a solution

I get ##B(f_{1}.1+1.f_{1})=2f_{1xt}## not ##0!##. Whereas the method gets ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial^{3}}{\partial x^{3}})f_1=0##

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2014 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

How do the functions f_n look like?

4. Dec 23, 2014 #3
    I believe ##f_1## is unknown at this point , and the idea is to use the RHS of the expression on the right of the top line, to find it. So once concluding the RHS=0 we solve ##(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial}{dx^{3}})f_1=0##

The expression I'm talking about, sorry I should have said and cant no longer seem to edit?, came from expressing solving the kdv eq equivalent to solving ##B(f.f)=0##*, where ##f=1+\sum^{\infinty}_{1}\epsilon^nf_n##, and so the expression has came from plugging the latter into * and setting each ##\epsilon^n## coefficient to zero.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  5. Dec 24, 2014 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Well a general solution to the equation of this form is [tex]f_1 = f(x^3-t)[/tex] but I am still not sure what you are looking for here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted