Keeping track of different mathematical works

In summary, the speakers discuss the overwhelming amount of works and subjects in mathematics that are available to study. They mention the use of Wikipedia and books on the history of math to discover new areas of interest. However, they also acknowledge the vastness of the subject and the impossibility of keeping track of all mathematical works. They caution against spending too much time on areas that may not be of interest and suggest focusing on specific topics instead. They also mention the changing terminology and language used in mathematics over time.
Akash Pratap Singh
I just like to read and know, and still, I realize that there have been so many works in mathematics and so much to study which I don't even know of.
Is there any way I can keep a track of different mathematical works so that I can read them. For example, it was not very late when I came to know about the existence of hyperbolic functions and pedal curves and Hamiltonian Mathematics. If I just have the hint about the existence of such things, I can dig up and read.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Akash Pratap Singh said:
I just like to read and know, and still, I realize that there have been so many works in mathematics and so much to study which I don't even know of.
Is there any way I can keep a track of different mathematical works so that I can read them. For example, it was not very late when I came to know about the existence of hyperbolic functions and pedal curves and Hamiltonian Mathematics. If I just have the hint about the existence of such things, I can dig up and read.
You can start with Wikipdia articles, at least it gives you the hint where to look and sometimes also links to sources which are available online, although often just textbooks. Of course this assumes that you already know what to look up. Unfortunately "the existence of such things" covers more than can be studied during a lifetime. So without any specifications, the answer to this question is simply too long to even write it down, not to mention to look it up. You tell me an area, and I will tell you ten technical terms, which alone require months of study.

Akash Pratap Singh said:
Is there any way I can keep a track of different mathematical works so that I can read them.
That is an admirable goal. Unfortunately it is completely impossible. Mathematics is the "language of science" and its range is huge. You would be in danger of spending much time on things that you will not be interested in. I recommend that you get a book (article?) on the history of math and see what subjects interest you; then follow those leads.

Likes fresh_42
FactChecker said:
That is an admirable goal. Unfortunately it is completely impossible.
So true. I've gone through some books of mine just yesterday on the hunt for good problems. I haven't found any, yet, but it became obvious, that even to state a problem from, say page 50 onward, it sometimes would take me weeks to even explain the terminology and in many cases learn them myself. Additionally the language changed throughout the years, e.g. what we now call Lie algebra has been called infinitesimal ring. The times of universal scientists are definitely gone.

Likes StoneTemplePython, FactChecker and jedishrfu

1. What is the purpose of keeping track of different mathematical works?

The purpose of keeping track of different mathematical works is to have a comprehensive understanding of the current state of mathematics and to build upon previous research and discoveries. It also allows for the proper citation of sources and prevents duplicate or redundant work.

2. How can I efficiently organize and categorize different mathematical works?

One way to efficiently organize and categorize different mathematical works is by using a reference management software. These programs allow you to create a database of sources, tag them with keywords, and easily search and sort through them. Another method is to use a physical system, such as a filing system or a notebook, to categorize and organize works.

3. Is it important to keep track of different mathematical works from various fields of mathematics?

Yes, it is important to keep track of different mathematical works from various fields of mathematics. This allows for a broader understanding of the interconnectedness of different mathematical concepts and advancements. It can also lead to new discoveries or applications in other areas of mathematics.

4. How can I ensure I am properly citing and referencing mathematical works?

To ensure proper citation and referencing of mathematical works, it is important to follow the guidelines and formatting styles of your specific field or publication. This may include including the author's name, title, publication date, and relevant page numbers. It is also important to use reputable and reliable sources.

5. Should I keep track of works that have been retracted or proven incorrect?

Yes, it is important to keep track of works that have been retracted or proven incorrect. This allows for a more accurate and up-to-date understanding of the current state of mathematics. It can also provide insight into the process of scientific discovery and the importance of peer review in the field of mathematics.