Kepler's Law to Determine Period of Asteroid

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
scrambledeggs
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A newly discovered asteroid orbits at twice the Earth-Sun distance. Find its period of orbit (in years).

Homework Equations



I know that I'm supposed to use Kepler's third law to determine this.
T2 = Kr3
K = 4∏2/GM

and the Earth-Sun distance is of course 1 Au

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that the answer should be √8 or about 2.83 years I just don't know how to get there. So frustrating because I know that this is a simple question.

Could it be that K = 1, and R=2 therefore R3 = 8?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
scrambledeggs said:

Homework Statement



A newly discovered asteroid orbits at twice the Earth-Sun distance. Find its period of orbit (in years).

Homework Equations



I know that I'm supposed to use Kepler's third law to determine this.
T2 = Kr3
K = 4∏2/GM

and the Earth-Sun distance is of course 1 Au

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that the answer should be √8 or about 2.83 years I just don't know how to get there. So frustrating because I know that this is a simple question.

Could it be that K = 1, and R=2 therefore R3 = 8?

Think about the relationship between this asteroid's orbit and the Earth's orbit.