Killing vectors for a given Kahler potential

In summary, the Kahler potential is a function of three variables and the Killing vectors are vectors that minimize the function. The person tried to solve a PDE system using Cartan's calculus but wasn't able to write the metric in a covariant way. They then tried to use the product rule but were not able to do so. They are currently stuck.
L0r3n20
Hi all!
It's already a couple of days that I'm trying to solve this problem. I've been given the following Kahler potential
[tex] \mathcal{K} = - Log\left[ i \left(s-\bar{s}\right)\left(t-\bar{t}\right)\left(u-\bar{u}\right)\right] [/tex]
and I have to compute the Killing vectors of such a manifold. I've tried to compute them using
[tex]\nabla_a \bar{\xi_b} + \bar{\nabla}_b \xi_a =0 [/tex]
but then I can't solve the PDE system if not trivially.
Any suggestion? =)

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way I forgot to tell you I've tried using Cartan's calculus
[tex] \mathcal{L}\left(g\right) =\iota_{\xi}\left(\mathrm{d}g\right) + \mathrm{d}\left(\iota_{\xi}g\right) [/tex]
but I wasn't able to write the metric in a "covariant" way. It should be something like (I know this formula is wrong it's just to give you the taste)
[tex]-\frac{1}{\left(x_i-\bar{x}_j\right)\delta^{ij}}\delta_{ij}[/tex]
since I have a diagonal metric...

L0r3n20 said:
By the way I forgot to tell you I've tried using Cartan's calculus
[tex] \mathcal{L}\left(g\right) =\iota_{\xi}\left(\mathrm{d}g\right) + \mathrm{d}\left(\iota_{\xi}g\right) [/tex]

This formula is not applicable, because g is not a differential form. However, you can use the product rule:

[tex]\begin{align*}\mathcal{L}_\xi g &= \mathcal{L}_\xi (g_{ij} \, dx^i \otimes dx^j) \\ &= (\mathcal{L}_\xi g_{ij}) \, dx^i \otimes dx^j + g_{ij} \, (\mathcal{L}_\xi dx^i) \otimes dx^j + g_{ij} \, dx^i \otimes (\mathcal{L}_\xi dx^j) \end{align*}[/tex]
but I wasn't able to write the metric in a "covariant" way.

What do you mean?

It should be something like (I know this formula is wrong it's just to give you the taste)
[tex]-\frac{1}{\left(x_i-\bar{x}_j\right)\delta^{ij}}\delta_{ij}[/tex]
since I have a diagonal metric...

Might want to work on that. It appears that you don't understand how the index gymnastics works. You have too many i, j indices.

First of all thank you for your reply.
I knew the metric was wrong but I cannot write it in a compact form. It should read
[tex] g_{i \bar{j}} \mathrm{d} z^i \wedge \mathrm{d} \bar{z}^{\bar{j}} = -\frac{1}{\left( s-\bar{s}\right)} \mathrm{d} s \wedge \mathrm{d} \bar{s} -\frac{1}{\left( t-\bar{t}\right)} \mathrm{d} t \wedge \mathrm{d} \bar{t} -\frac{1}{\left( u-\bar{u}\right)} \mathrm{d} u \wedge \mathrm{d} \bar{u} [/tex] from which I'm not able to extract [tex] g_{i \bar{j}} [/tex]
However this is not my main problem because I wrote the metric in a matrix form and compute the Killing equation but now I can't solve it... :(

Hello, thank you for reaching out with your question. I understand that you are having difficulty solving for the Killing vectors of a given Kahler potential. This can be a complex problem, so I will try to provide some guidance and suggestions.

First, let's review the concept of Killing vectors. In general relativity, Killing vectors are vector fields that preserve the metric of a space-time. In other words, they represent symmetries of the space-time, and their corresponding symmetry transformations leave the metric unchanged. In your case, the Kahler potential represents the metric of a manifold, and the Killing vectors represent the symmetries of that manifold.

Now, let's look at the equation you mentioned, \nabla_a \bar{\xi_b} + \bar{\nabla}_b \xi_a =0. This is known as the Killing equation and is used to solve for the Killing vectors. However, as you have mentioned, it can be difficult to solve this equation in general, and it may not always lead to a solution.

One suggestion I have is to try using a different approach. Instead of directly solving the Killing equation, you can try using the properties of the Kahler potential to simplify the problem. For example, since the Kahler potential is in logarithmic form, you can try using logarithmic derivatives to simplify the equations. Additionally, you can also try using the properties of complex variables to simplify the equations.

Another suggestion is to consult with a colleague or mentor who may have experience with solving similar problems. They may be able to provide insight and guidance on how to approach the problem.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you in solving the problem. Keep in mind that solving for Killing vectors can be a challenging task, but with persistence and the right approach, it is possible to find a solution. Best of luck!

1. What are Killing vectors?

Killing vectors are vector fields on a manifold that preserve the metric tensor, meaning they leave the metric invariant under Lie derivative.

2. How are Killing vectors related to Kahler potentials?

Killing vectors can be used to generate symmetries in a Kahler potential, which is a function used in the study of complex manifolds and supersymmetric field theories.

3. How do you find Killing vectors for a given Kahler potential?

To find Killing vectors, one can use the Killing equation, which relates the Lie derivative of the metric tensor to the metric and the vector field. This equation can be solved to find the Killing vectors for a given Kahler potential.

4. What is the significance of Killing vectors in physics?

Killing vectors are important in physics because they represent symmetries of a system, which can provide insights into the behavior and properties of the system. They are used in various fields of physics, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics.

5. Can Killing vectors be used to solve problems in mathematical physics?

Yes, Killing vectors are often used in mathematical physics to solve problems involving symmetries. For example, they can be used to simplify differential equations and to determine conserved quantities in a system.