1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kindle Paperwhite For Science Documents

1. Dec 25, 2014 #1
    Hi all. I'm considering buying a Kindle paperwhite (E-ink) for reading publications, textbooks, and some fun reading. Does anyone own one, and have an opinion on how readable the text, equations, and figures are? If so, do you feel the screen size is adequate? ~$100 is about the most I have to spend on this, and the battery life is very appealing to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

I love mine and it does reasonably well with technical documents properly prepared for it - not many are. Also images are probably not rendered adequately for textbook illustrations. But it is reliable and convenient. ATM I am reading Unger and Smolin's Singular Universe on it, because of the delayed release of the P-book that I ordered in August. I have hundreds of arXiv pre/re-prints archived.

4. Dec 26, 2014 #3
    Thank you. By properly prepared, do you mean by the publisher, or is this something you can do via file conversions?

5. Dec 26, 2014 #4
    I would get a refurbished samsung tablet pro or better. It is not constrained by hardrive limitations. Yo u can use a cloud server or usb devices to get around the hardrive limitations. It has a great doc u mentioned viewer etc.

6. Dec 26, 2014 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not owning a Kindle but a tablet with high resolution. I love to read papers and books with it (although I'm of this old-fashioned kind who likes to print out texts and read them on paper :-)). As long as one has a pdf file everything is perfect, including formulae. I've the impression that some ebook-formats are not well suited for technical typesetting, because there formulae usually look not that good and sometimes are even distorted. Maybe that's better on a real ebook reader, but I have none to check. What made me buy a tablet and not a Kindle was also the quite small storage. In my tablet I use a 64GB SD card, where I can keep all my stuff as on my PC.

7. Dec 26, 2014 #6

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Well, I don't know the publishing protocol, but yes the publisher is certainly involved, if only for setting a standard.

8. Dec 26, 2014 #7

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  9. Dec 26, 2014 #8
    Thanks. I'm going to try and find a friend who owns one and run some .pdf papers and textbooks through it. If it renders quick enough, and I find the screen size adequate, I'm going to buy a new paperwhite 2.

10. Dec 27, 2014 #9
    I do not own a Kindle, but screen size is of outmost importance when reading technical and science papers and books. Personally I would suggest a 10 inch tablet (I have a cheap chinese 9.6" tablet in 4:3 form factor and I find it just perfect - it is slow for other apps but as ebook reader it's perfect). I've had an 8 inch tablet too, still in 4:3 form factor, and it was usable, but the 10 inches is much, much better.
    I use EBookDroid as my main e-book reader app: free, no ads and tons of options.

11. Dec 27, 2014 #10

nsaspook

Science Advisor

It's nice to have something that will fit in a pocket easily. The 7" Kindle will fit in the large pocket of cargo pants. No need for a 'man' purse to carry your electronics on the go.

12. Dec 28, 2014 #11
    nsaspook, I see your point. Moreover, battery life of an e-ink device is amazingly longer than any tablet or smartphone. But most technical and scientific documents are not born to be read in a pocketbook format. Even if they can be reflowed (and that would be an exception), screen size is too small to... get the big picture. You can see in the video you posted how small the page is. And if there is no reflow, panning through a magnified text is unnerving to say the least.
    But then, I guess it's a matter of personal taste and priorities.

Oh, yes, and I meant to write "utmost", not "outmost" in my previous message. That was grammatically utrageous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted