1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics - Acceleration equation confustion

1. Jul 13, 2012 #1
    Kinematics -- Acceleration equation confustion

I have been following a derivation and can't quite wrap my head round what is happening. I don't know if the person who wrote it has made a mistake somewhere or I am making the mistake.

I am informed that

[tex]a = \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

Fine. Then I am told

[tex]a= \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

(which is odd, one moment it is dv/dt now it seems to be dv/dx)

and that I should convince myself that this is the acceleration through a cross multiplication.... but I did it and I got

[tex]\frac{dvdt}{dx dx}[/tex]

This surely isn't acceleration, have I made a mistake somewhere? And if the person I am following is wrong, what is the correct way to state this...?

They further said that

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

is just velocity, so they end up with

[tex]a = v \frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2012 #2
    Re: Kinematics

No.

The acceleration a does NOT seem to be dv/dx.

It would seem that a is dv/dx if we have a = dv/dx and we do not have that because we have instead that

a = (dv/dx)(dx/dt).

4. Jul 13, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assume that the acceleration is function of the position x: a=a(x(t)), a composite function of t. You get the derivative with respect to t if you derive with respect to x first then derive x with respect to t.

da(x(t))/dt=(da/dx)*(dx/dt).

ehild

5. Jul 13, 2012 #4

Hi help1please,
    you just messed up your cross multiplication
    dv/dx * dx/dt is not dvdt/dxdx but dvdx/dtdx as you can see, you could just as well simplify by the 'artificially' injected dx/dx (=1) and get back to a=dv/dt

Cheers...

6. Jul 13, 2012 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

Acceleration is (dv/dt) but by application of the chain rule this can be written as a = (dv/dx)(dx/dt) because we are effectively cancelling out the dx top and bottom.
    (I say effectively because dx is really a differential operator)

In your last eqn, (dx/dt) = v so we get a = v (dv/dx)

This sort of chain rule application can be important if you want to find the velocity of a particle as a function of position, acceleration as function of velocity etc.., although this requires some extra mathematics.(Separable diff eqns)

7. Jul 13, 2012 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You probably understand it by now but..

a = dv/dt

Multiply top and bottom by dx

= (dv/dt)(dx/dx)

rearrange

= (dv/dx)(dx/dt)

8. Jul 13, 2012 #7

That's simply some manipulation (multiplying numerator and denominator by same thing), scratch out dx from numerator and denominator, you get the same expression as before. :wink:

9. Jul 16, 2012 #8

I didn't mess up anything, it was work I was following and noticed something was wrong, that's all. But thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook