Need help with a specific (slope) problem in dynamics

In summary, the problem is asking for the time it takes for an object on a 30 degree slope with initial velocity v=0m/s to come to a stop. The coefficient of friction is given as u=0.1*(x/m), where x is the path traversed and m is the mass of the object. The resulting differential equation is ##\ddot x= \frac g 2 - 0.1 \frac {\sqrt 3 x\,g} {2m}##, which includes the mass m in its solution. Without more information, it is difficult to find a solution to this problem.
mathchimp

Homework Statement

An object is placed on a slope with initial velocity v=0m/s. Angle of the slope is 30 degrees and the coefficient of friction (or friction factor, not sure how it's said in English) is given as u=0.1*(x/m) where x is the path traversed and m is the mass of the object.

After how much time will the object stop moving?

Homework Equations

So far, what I know is:

friction: F1=u*m*g*cos(angle)
opposite of friction: F2=m*g*sin(angle)
acceleration in this case: a=(F2-F1)/m
velocity in general: v=dx/dt
acceleration in general: a=dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried calculating the acceleration. Since coefficient of friction is unknown and given as 0.1*(x/m), I end up with:

a=4.9-(x/m)*0.85

I checked it four times, pretty sure by now it's correct.
I now wanted to see if I can get something from a=dv/dt.

Integrating dt=dv/a, knowing that the initial velocity is zero, I wound up with t=1/a which I already knew.

I now tried using v=dx/dt which gave me:

t = (1/a)*(dx/dt)
tdt = (1/a)dx

Integrating it, again knowing that the initial path traversed is 0, I got

t^2/2=(1/a)*x

It didn't look very useful. Plugging a into the equation and making things look "pretty" gave me:

(4.9*t^2)/2 - 1/(2*m) = 1

Again, can't find the time. Mass unknown.

Since it was my 4th attempt at solving this, not knowing what to do and ready to break the laws of physics, I decide to derivate the equation and end up with t=0.204 s, which is of course false.

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who can help me with this. The only thing I know is the solution, which is 3.41 seconds. I've tried solving this multiple times, asked my colleagues for help and searching the internet. Can't find anything useful. The book isn't very helpful with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathchimp said:
a=4.9-(x/m)*0.85
That looks a differential equation:
##\ddot x = \frac g 2 - \frac {\sqrt 3 g} 2 ux##

tnich said:
That looks a differential equation:
##\ddot x = \frac g 2 - \frac {\sqrt 3 g} 2 ux##

Would you mind to explain a bit? We don't (ever) use differential equations in my physics class. How does that help me find the solution?

mathchimp said:
Would you mind to explain a bit? We don't (ever) use differential equations in my physics class. How does that help me find the solution?
mathchimp said:
If you are not using differential equations in this class, then there is something we are misinterpreting in the problem statement. Since you have translated it to English, I can't tell you what is wrong with it (not that I could tell if I saw it in the original language).

By the way, I need to correct the differential equation I gave before. It should be:
##\ddot x= \frac g 2 - 0.1 \frac {\sqrt 3 x\,g} {2m}##

Another difficulty here is that this equation includes the mass m. This is due to the definition of u. ##u= 0.1\frac x m## is a very strange way to state a coefficient of friction. The coefficient of friction would not normally be dependent on m. This looks more like a coefficient that converts normal force to acceleration due to friction.

tnich said:
If you are not using differential equations in this class, then there is something we are misinterpreting in the problem statement. Since you have translated it to English, I can't tell you what is wrong with it (not that I could tell if I saw it in the original language).

By the way, I need to correct the differential equation I gave before. It should be:
##\ddot x= \frac g 2 - 0.1 \frac {\sqrt 3 x\,g} {2m}##

Another difficulty here is that this equation includes the mass m. This is due to the definition of u. ##u= 0.1\frac x m## is a very strange way to state a coefficient of friction. The coefficient of friction would not normally be dependent on m. This looks more like a coefficient that converts normal force to acceleration due to friction.

It is the coefficient of friction here, I've checked. There are many problems like this in my textbook but it usually cancels out with something and gives me a reasonable solution. I believe they expect the same thing here.

The only thing I perhaps didn't mention is that the body never makes it to the bottom of the slope because of u, but that's it. No more information.

Thank you for replying though, I assume problems like these won't appear on my exam.

mathchimp said:
It is the coefficient of friction here, I've checked. There are many problems like this in my textbook but it usually cancels out with something and gives me a reasonable solution. I believe they expect the same thing here.

The only thing I perhaps didn't mention is that the body never makes it to the bottom of the slope because of u, but that's it. No more information.

Thank you for replying though, I assume problems like these won't appear on my exam.
OK. Let's assume then that the acceleration due to friction is ##a_f = u\,m\,g##. Then our differential equation is
##\ddot x= \frac g 2 - 0.1 \frac {\sqrt 3 \,g} 2 x##

This says that the acceleration changes with the distance traveled. And if you think about it, the speed of the object as it goes down the ramp has to increase from zero and then decrease back to zero, so the acceleration has to change to make that happen.

If you have no experience with differential equations, then try this - suppose that ##x(t) = a\, cos(bt +c) + d##, where a, b, c and d are constants that you will have to determine.

Now differentiate ##x(t)## with respect to t get velocity ##\dot x(t)##. You know that ##\dot x(0) = 0##, so you can solve that equation for c. Given c, you can solve x(0) = 0 for d. That will simplify the equation for ##\dot x##.

Differentiate again to get the acceleration ##\ddot x(t)##. You can get another equation for ##\ddot x(t)## by substituting ##x(t) = a\, cos(bt +c) + d## in ##\ddot x= \frac g 2 - 0.1 \frac {\sqrt 3 \,g} 2 x##. Now you have two equations for ##\ddot x## in terms of t. You already know c and d. Now you need to find values of a and b that will make the two equations look the same. Once you have those constants, you can find the values of t for which ##\dot x(t) = 0##.

I made several edits in this post to correct errors.

Last edited:
Likes mathchimp

1. What is slope in dynamics?

Slope in dynamics refers to the steepness or incline of a line on a graph that represents a change in position over time. It is commonly used to measure the acceleration or deceleration of an object in motion.

2. How is slope calculated in dynamics?

In dynamics, slope is calculated by dividing the change in the vertical axis (y-coordinate) by the change in the horizontal axis (x-coordinate). This can also be represented as the rise over run or change in y over change in x.

3. Why is slope important in dynamics?

Slope is important in dynamics because it helps us understand the rate at which an object is moving. It can also provide information on the direction of motion and whether the object is accelerating or decelerating.

4. Can slope be negative in dynamics?

Yes, slope can be negative in dynamics. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive slope, or that it is decelerating.

5. How can I use slope to solve a specific problem in dynamics?

To solve a specific problem in dynamics, you can use the slope formula to calculate the slope of a line on a graph. This slope can then be used to determine the acceleration or deceleration of the object in question and help you find the solution to the problem.