Maximum speed and magnitude of the acceleration of a spring?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Howard Fox
Messages
38
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


If a midpoint of a guitar string executes simple harmonic motion following the form x(t)=Asin(wt+φ), and its angular frequency is ω = 2.76 × 103 s−1 and A=1.60mm. What is then its maximum speed of the string during this motion? And what is the maximum magnitude of the acceleration of the spring?

Homework Equations


x(t)=Asin(wt+φ)
dx/dt = Aω cos(ωt + φ)
dv/dt = −Aω2 sin(ωt + φ)

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that the maximum velocity should happen when x=0 and the maximum acceleration is when displacement is greatest, but I am not sure on how to proceed. Should I set the second equation I listed above equal to zero to find the velocity and the third equation equal to 1.60mm to find the acceleration?
Thank you for your help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Howard Fox said:
Should I set the second equation I listed above equal to zero ...
No, just look at it. The right side is maximum when the cosine is maximum. What is the maximum value of a cosine, any cosine?
 
kuruman said:
No, just look at it. The right side is maximum when the cosine is maximum. What is the maximum value of a cosine, any cosine?
One?