Maximum speed and magnitude of the acceleration of a spring?

In summary, the maximum speed and acceleration of a guitar string executing simple harmonic motion can be found by setting the equation for velocity (dx/dt) and acceleration (dv/dt) equal to zero and one, respectively, as the maximum values for these quantities occur when the cosine function is at its maximum value of one.
Howard Fox

Homework Statement

If a midpoint of a guitar string executes simple harmonic motion following the form x(t)=Asin(wt+φ), and its angular frequency is ω = 2.76 × 103 s−1 and A=1.60mm. What is then its maximum speed of the string during this motion? And what is the maximum magnitude of the acceleration of the spring?

Homework Equations

x(t)=Asin(wt+φ)
dx/dt = Aω cos(ωt + φ)
dv/dt = −Aω2 sin(ωt + φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the maximum velocity should happen when x=0 and the maximum acceleration is when displacement is greatest, but I am not sure on how to proceed. Should I set the second equation I listed above equal to zero to find the velocity and the third equation equal to 1.60mm to find the acceleration?
Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Howard Fox said:
Should I set the second equation I listed above equal to zero ...
No, just look at it. The right side is maximum when the cosine is maximum. What is the maximum value of a cosine, any cosine?

kuruman said:
No, just look at it. The right side is maximum when the cosine is maximum. What is the maximum value of a cosine, any cosine?
One?

What is dx/dt ?

Howard Fox said:
One?
One.

Likes Howard Fox

What is the maximum speed of a spring?

The maximum speed of a spring is determined by the amplitude of the oscillations and the mass of the object attached to the spring. It can be calculated using the equation v = ωA, where v is the maximum speed, ω is the angular frequency, and A is the amplitude.

What is the magnitude of acceleration of a spring?

The magnitude of acceleration of a spring can be calculated using the equation a = -ω²x, where a is the acceleration, ω is the angular frequency, and x is the displacement from equilibrium. The acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the angular frequency and inversely proportional to the displacement.

How does the mass of an object affect the maximum speed and acceleration of a spring?

The mass of an object attached to a spring affects both the maximum speed and acceleration. A heavier object will result in a lower maximum speed and a higher magnitude of acceleration, while a lighter object will result in a higher maximum speed and a lower magnitude of acceleration.

What factors can affect the maximum speed and acceleration of a spring?

Besides the amplitude and mass, other factors that can affect the maximum speed and acceleration of a spring include the stiffness of the spring, damping forces, and external forces acting on the object attached to the spring.

How can the maximum speed and acceleration of a spring be measured?

The maximum speed and acceleration of a spring can be measured using various instruments such as a stopwatch, a motion sensor, or a high-speed camera. These measurements can then be used to calculate the values using the appropriate equations.