1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics: Average Deceleration Underwater

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Kinematics: Average Deceleration Underwater

Hello! First poster here. :cool: Here is a tough question from my online HW:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A person jumps off a diving board 5.0 m above the water's surface into a deep pool. The person’s downward motion stops 1.6 m below the surface of the water. Estimate the average deceleration (magnitude) of the person while under the water.

Answer: _blank_ m/s^2.

2. Relevant equations
    V^2=Vo^2-2gy
    V^2=Vo^2+2a(x-xo)
    Vf=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I asked my physics professor for assistance and tried the problem on my own but came to no avail. I started off by using the first V squared formula and plugging in the known variables to find the velocity of the person as they approach the surface of the water.

Then, I plugged the inital velocity into the 2nd V squared equation, as this is the velocity as the person struck the water, and still couldn't find the correct answer. I must be having an algebraic issue.

Okay, there are two distances: 5 m above the water and 1.6 m below the surface of the water. So there is a combined total of 6.6 meters traveled. For above the water:

Vo or inital velocity is zero.

V^2=Vo^2-2gy
    V^2=-2gy
    V^2=-2(9.8m/s^2)(5m)
    V^2=-98m/s

Then take the absolute value of the the square root?

|V|=Sqroot(98m/s)
    V=9.8895 m/s

Now, use the second equation to find out the deceleration under the water:

Xo equals zero.
    Vf or final velocity is zero.

V^2=Vo^2+2a(X-Xo)
    (Plug in inital velocity when the person struck the water and underwater distance for X.)
    V^2=(9.8995m/s)^2+2a(1.6m)
    V^2=98 m^2/s^2 + (3.2m)a
    (Plug in zero for final velocity and move a to the other side)
    a=98 m^2/s^2 + 3.2m

Then....? Im not sure. :confused: Any help would be great. Thank you! :smile:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome aboard! Check your algebra. You have 0 = 98 + 3.2a. You've got to subtract 98 from both sides before you solve for a.

4. Jan 26, 2008 #3
    Thank you! That worked. I knew I had a fault somewhere in my Algebra. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?