Kinematics car acceleration question

In summary, at stage 2, the car is decelerating at the same rate, regardless of initial velocity. This is because the same braking effort was used in both cases.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg
image.jpg

For part c ii) of this question, the new distance is now 1/4 of the previous distance as both acceleration are the same.

But why are both the acceleration the same?

Homework Equations

v^2= u^2 +2as

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the method is by using the above equation, and taking v as 0, we get s = u^2/2a.
So when the initial speed is now halved, we get s' = (u/2)^2 /2a , and ∴ s' = u^2/8a , which is ¼ of the previous distance.

But why are the acceleration the same for both cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
The deceleration (negative acceleration because it is slowing down) is the same in both cases because it is assumed that the same braking effort was used in both cases. Remember accel/decel is the rate of change of velocity, and in both cases the car is slowing down at the same rate, regardless of initial velocity.

swerider said:
The deceleration (negative acceleration because it is slowing down) is the same in both cases because it is assumed that the same braking effort was used in both cases. Remember accel/decel is the rate of change of velocity, and in both cases the car is slowing down at the same rate, regardless of initial velocity.

But how do we know that same braking effort is used in both cases? Is it because the resistive force are the same for both cases too?

Janiceleong26 said:
But how do we know that same braking effort is used in both cases? Is it because the resistive force are the same for both cases too?
I agree with you - there is no sound basis for assuming the deceleration is the same. The driver, presumably, merely requires to stop before reaching the obstacle, but has no reason to stop well short of it. If the initial speed is lower, the driver may choose to decelerate more gently, and/or start braking later. It's a poorly specified question.
If I had to guess, I'd go for covering the same distance and starting to brake at the same point in time, but decelerating more gently.

haruspex said:
I agree with you - there is no sound basis for assuming the deceleration is the same. The driver, presumably, merely requires to stop before reaching the obstacle, but has no reason to stop well short of it. If the initial speed is lower, the driver may choose to decelerate more gently, and/or start braking later. It's a poorly specified question.
If I had to guess, I'd go for covering the same distance and starting to brake at the same point in time, but decelerating more gently.

Yeah. Are the resistive force acting on the car at stage 2 the same for both cases? Since same car, same driver..? But if the car is moving at a slower speed, then shouldn't the counter forces (e.g. Air resistance) be lesser?
Because in determining the resistive force, we can know the deceleration of the car (whether they are the same )

Janiceleong26 said:
Yeah. Are the resistive force acting on the car at stage 2 the same for both cases? Since same car, same driver..? But if the car is moving at a slower speed, then shouldn't the counter forces (e.g. Air resistance) be lesser?
Because in determining the resistive force, we can know the deceleration of the car (whether they are the same )
The graph shows a constant deceleration, so I doubt air resistance is to be considered. The difficulty is knowing how the driver will behave. With a lower speed, i think the driver would not brake as hard. Why would the driver want to stop a long way in front of the obstruction?

haruspex said:
The graph shows a constant deceleration, so I doubt air resistance is to be considered. The difficulty is knowing how the driver will behave. With a lower speed, i think the driver would not brake as hard. Why would the driver want to stop a long way in front of the obstruction?

Haha..true. This question isn't clear enough. Thanks anyways !

1. What is kinematics and how does it relate to car acceleration?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It is related to car acceleration because it helps us understand how a car's velocity changes over time, which is determined by its acceleration.

2. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. In the context of car acceleration, average acceleration would be the change in the car's velocity over a certain distance, while instantaneous acceleration would be the acceleration at a specific point during that distance.

3. How is acceleration calculated for a car?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. In the context of a car, this can be calculated by measuring the car's initial velocity and final velocity, and the time it takes for the car to reach that final velocity.

4. Can a car have a negative acceleration?

Yes, a car can have a negative acceleration if it is slowing down. Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, is when an object's velocity decreases over time.

5. How does air resistance affect a car's acceleration?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect a car's acceleration by slowing it down. As a car moves through the air, it experiences resistance, which can decrease its acceleration. This is why cars are designed to be aerodynamic, to reduce the effects of air resistance and improve acceleration.