Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kinematics Equations (2 Problems!)

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In solving a kinematic equation for x, which has a negative acceleration, is x necessarily negative?

A classmate states that a negative acceleration always means that a moving object decelerating. Is this statement true? Explain.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2
    No, depends on reference. You can say gravity has a negative acceleration in the y prime, but a falling object is accelerating. The correct term is negative acceleration, not decelerating.

Note: I could be wrong.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  4. Sep 17, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the help, but it's two problems in my book, and those are the exact words. So I don't know.

5. Sep 17, 2008 #4
    For your first question, what is x? Is it displacement, velocity or what?

6. Sep 17, 2008 #5
    I have no idea. I believe it's displacement, if I'm not mistaken. My teacher and the textbook is really vague and not clear at all :(

7. Sep 17, 2008 #6
    Haha! I know how that is...

The answer is NO. This is because x could have a positive displacement and could also have a negative acceleration (slowing down) at the same time. Example, you roll a ball on the floor. It moves away from you (positive displacement) but is also slowing down (negative acceleration).

Again, I could be wrong, I'm only in last year of high school physics.

8. Sep 17, 2008 #7
    Alright, I'll take that into consideration.
    Thanks alot again! :) Really helped!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook