1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics Equations (2 Problems!)

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In solving a kinematic equation for x, which has a negative acceleration, is x necessarily negative?

A classmate states that a negative acceleration always means that a moving object decelerating. Is this statement true? Explain.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2
    No, depends on reference. You can say gravity has a negative acceleration in the y prime, but a falling object is accelerating. The correct term is negative acceleration, not decelerating.

Note: I could be wrong.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  4. Sep 17, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the help, but it's two problems in my book, and those are the exact words. So I don't know.
  5. Sep 17, 2008 #4
    For your first question, what is x? Is it displacement, velocity or what?
  6. Sep 17, 2008 #5
    I have no idea. I believe it's displacement, if I'm not mistaken. My teacher and the textbook is really vague and not clear at all :(
  7. Sep 17, 2008 #6
    Haha! I know how that is...

The answer is NO. This is because x could have a positive displacement and could also have a negative acceleration (slowing down) at the same time. Example, you roll a ball on the floor. It moves away from you (positive displacement) but is also slowing down (negative acceleration).

Again, I could be wrong, I'm only in last year of high school physics.
  8. Sep 17, 2008 #7
    Alright, I'll take that into consideration.
    Thanks alot again! :) Really helped!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?