1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics, finding the displacement and comparing

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

using a map, measure the displacement from Bradford to Milton. Compare the distances travelled to the for each route above with this displacement and explain the differences

2. Relevant equations
    Δd = vΔt

3. The attempt at a solution

okay, so i may just being having a brain fart but. I've made my graphs for position-time graph for the truck traveling to deliver celery. i'm really just having a problem as to find the displacement on the map from Bradford to Milton. I don't really know how to approach it at this moment.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are measuring the displacement on a map from Bradford to Milton, the magnitude of the length of a straight line drawn between the 2 cities is the magnitude of the displacement. The angle that that displacemnt vector makes with the horizontal gives you the direction of the displacement. Neglecting curvature of the Earth. The vector sum of the separate displacements made by the truck also gives the total displacement.

4. Apr 3, 2012 #3
    i was indeed having a brain fart after walking away and coming back i figured it out thank you though :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook