Kinematics / Forces Friction Problem?

In summary, a baseball player with an initial speed of 7.00 m/s slides into third base on a ground with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.37. Using kinematics and forces equations and assuming a mass of 'm', the player will slide a distance before coming to rest.
whoopie88

Homework Statement

A baseball player slides into third base with an initial speed of 7.00 m/s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the player and the ground is 0.37, how far does the player slide before coming to rest?

Homework Equations

All Kinematics and Forces Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to start this problem; there doesn't seem to be enough information given. If the coefficient of friction is given, I feel like I should know what the Normal Force is, but I don't have the mass or the weight of the player, so I'm kind of lost as to how I should start this.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Call the mass 'm' and continue. Maybe you won't need the actual value. :wink:

Okay, thanks! That helped a bunch! I got the answer!

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion, including the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is the difference between Kinematics and Dynamics?

Kinematics focuses on the motion of objects without considering the forces involved, while Dynamics studies the relationship between forces and the resulting motion of objects.

3. How is the velocity of an object calculated?

The velocity of an object is calculated by dividing the change in its position by the change in time. It is represented by the equation v = (xf - xi) / (tf - ti), where v is velocity, xf and xi are the final and initial positions, and tf and ti are the final and initial times.

4. What is friction and how does it affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the roughness of surfaces and can decrease the speed of an object or bring it to a stop.

5. How can we calculate the force of friction?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force acting on the object. The coefficient of friction depends on the materials in contact and their roughness.