Kinematics in two dimensions problem

In summary: You actually figured it out on your own. You said "V=0" in your first post when the car hit the ground. This is true, but only in the Y direction. Good job!In summary, the problem involves determining the speed of a car that drove horizontally off a 48.1 m high cliff and impacted the ground 195 m away from the base of the cliff. By using the equation y=V(0)t+ (1/2)gt^2, the time it took for the car to fly off the cliff was determined to be 3.13 seconds. However, for the x-axis, the equation x=(1/2)(V(0)+V)t is used
ian_durrant
[SOLVED] Kinematics in two dimensions problem

Homework Statement

Chapter 3, Problem 20

Incorrect.

A car drives horizontally off the edge of a cliff that is 48.1 m high. The police at the scene of the accident note that the point of impact is 195 m from the base of the cliff. How fast was the car traveling when it drove off the cliff?

Homework Equations

y=V(0)t+ (1/2)gt^2

y=(1/2)(V(0)+V)T- maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I think I've figured out the first part of the equation, finding out the time it took for the car to fly off the cliff- here's how I did it.

y= V(0)t+ (1/2)gt^2
-48.1= (0)t +(1/2)(-9.8)t^2
t=3.13

Here's where I think I'm messing up somewhere:

x=195 (how far the car flew off the cliff)
t=3.13 (what i got from the previous answer)
V(0)= ? (what i need to solve for)
V= 0 ( the car doesn't have any more veloicty after it crashed into something)

however, when i plug this into my equation :

x=(1/2)(V(0)+V)t, it says i didn't get the right answer. here's my math just for a double check

195=(1/2)(V(0)+0)(3.13)
195=1.57V(0)
V(0)= 124.5

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
ian_durrant said:
1. The problem statement, all variables and
V= 0 ( the car doesn't have any more veloicty after it crashed into something)

Remember you have to treat the Y and the X completely different in this case. What would of happened to the car if there was no gravitiy pulling down from the cliff? Would it ever have been stopped by the ground? Would its velocity ever changed (disregarding air resistance). Gravity is only working here in the Y direction.

I'm a little confused, wouldn't V=0 on the x-axis if the car had stopped/crashed, but on the Y-axis there still is the force of gravity. Or are you saying that my time i computed for the Y values won't work for my X values?

No, the time traveled is the same for both the X and the Y. What I'm trying to convey is the point that the car crashed due to a constant acceleration downward in the Y direction (gravity). The motion of the car in the X direction is completely independent and without gravity would have continued traveling never hitting the ground. This is why using the Vf=0 in the X equation isn't valid (That would imply a negative acceleration which in turn would imply an additional force at work, which there isn't in the X direction). So, you found the travel time from the equations for the Y direction. This time we know has to be the same for the X direction. Also we know the distance the car traveled in the X direction, 195m. Can you figure for Vi from here? (remember there is nothing accelerating the car in the X direction)

so it would be a logical assumption that g=0 in the x direction, correct?

so an equaiton would look something like this?

195=V(0)(3.13)+(1/2)(0)(3.13)^2
195=3.13V(0)
V(0)= 62.3 m/s?

Looks good to me.

1. What is kinematics in two dimensions problem?

Kinematics in two dimensions problem is the study of motion in two-dimensional space. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in two perpendicular directions.

2. How is kinematics in two dimensions problem different from one-dimensional kinematics?

Kinematics in two dimensions problem is more complex than one-dimensional kinematics because it involves multiple variables and equations to describe the motion, as opposed to just one direction in one-dimensional kinematics.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance in kinematics in two dimensions?

Displacement is the straight-line distance between an object's initial and final position, while distance is the total length traveled by the object. In two-dimensional kinematics, displacement takes into account both the horizontal and vertical components of an object's motion, while distance only considers the total path traveled.

4. How do you solve a kinematics in two dimensions problem?

To solve a kinematics in two dimensions problem, you will need to use equations that relate displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both the horizontal and vertical directions. It is important to break down the problem into its component parts and use vector addition to find the overall solution.

5. What are some common equations used in kinematics in two dimensions problem?

Some common equations used in kinematics in two dimensions problem include the equations for displacement (Δx = vf + vi / 2 x t), velocity (vf = vi + a x t), acceleration (a = Δv / t), and time (t = Δx / vf).