Kinematics in two dimensions problem

In summary, a fire fighter can direct a stream of water from a fire hose into a window of a burning building by controlling the angle θ0 and standing at a distance Dmax. The two angles that allow the water to enter the window are θ0 = 60 degrees and θ0 = 30 degrees. The maximum distance at which there is only one angle θm that gets the water into the window is Dmax. To find Dmax, use the standard constant acceleration equations in the x and y directions separately and eliminate the time variable. Then, set the horizontal distance as x and find the value of x that gives an equation with two identical roots.
Dmmd
A fire fighter directs a stream of water from a fire hose into the window of a burning building. The window is 20.0 m above the level of the nozzle and 60.0 m away. The hose produces a jet of water at a constant nozzle speed of v0 = 30.0 m/s. The fire fighter can control the angle θ0 that the water is aimed at by moving the nozzle with her hands.

(a) The fire fighter discovers that there are exactly two angles θ0 that she can hold the hose for which the water gets into the window. What are the two angles?

(b) The fire fighter further discovers that if she backs slowly away from the building there is a distance Dmax where there is only one angle θm which gets the water into the window. If she goes any farther back, she cannot get the water into the window at all. Find Dmax and θm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dmmd! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Use the standard constant acceleration equations in the x and y directions separately …

what do you get? :smile:

You mean Vox and Voy? after i take the components of velocity? This is where I'm stuck since there are 2 variables that I don't have which is the time and the angle

ok, call the time t and angle θ …

eliminate t from the two equations (it will be the same t, since obviously the water arrives horizontally and vertically at the same time! :wink:), and that should give you an equation with only 1 variable (θ). :smile:

although you're right on the statement that the time is the same for x and y i can't cancel the time in the equation since the variance of time is tf-ti. Hence ti=0 but tf is different from 0. So this results in 2 other equations which I'm not sure if they're correct. so what i came up is that i should use x=vox.t and y=voy.t+1/2g.t^2. Is this correct?

Dmmd said:
so what i came up is that i should use x=vox.t and y=voy.t+1/2g.t^2. Is this correct?

Yes, and now put the numbers (and the cosθ and sinθ) in, and then eliminate t. :smile:

But after eliminating t. I couldn't solve the trig orz...
I tried so many trig identities.
the equation looks like this
cos^2(x)=3sinxcosx-0.98

Ok I solved the first part...
However,
I couldn't find a way to solve the second part.
Anyone can give me a head start?

Hi hdlineage! :smile:

(just go up :zzz: …)

In your equation with cos2θ etc, instead of 60, write the horizontal distance as x.

Then you're looking for the value of x which gives that equation two identical roots. :wink:

1. What is Kinematics in two dimensions problem?

Kinematics in two dimensions is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in two-dimensional space. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects and their relationships with time.

2. What are the key concepts in solving Kinematics in two dimensions problems?

The key concepts in solving Kinematics in two dimensions problems include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These quantities are related through equations such as the equations of motion and the Pythagorean theorem.

3. How do I approach solving a Kinematics in two dimensions problem?

First, identify the given information and what is being asked in the problem. Then, choose the appropriate equations to use based on the given information. Finally, plug in the values and solve for the unknown variable.

4. Can I use the same equations for Kinematics in one dimension and two dimensions?

Yes, many of the equations used in Kinematics in one dimension can also be applied in two dimensions. However, the Pythagorean theorem must also be used to account for the two-dimensional motion.

5. How can I check if my solution to a Kinematics in two dimensions problem is correct?

You can check your solution by using the equations of motion to calculate other quantities, such as velocity or acceleration, and see if they match the given information. Additionally, you can plug your solution back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the given information.