1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum height water can be projected onto a wall

1. Feb 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    H3-1 Determine the maximum height on the wall to which the firefighter can project water from the hose if the speed of the water at the nozzle is 20 m/s.
    The firefighter stands 18 m away from the wall and holds the nozzle 1.2 m above the ground.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is my work. What I did was solve for the time it took for the water to travel 18 m forward as a function of theta. Then I plugged this time into the uniform acceleration kinematic for vertical position to get height at the wall as a function of launch angle. I then maximized height using calculus and got an answer. My professor claims that my approach is not valid for this problem and suggests that the process shown in the attached solution sheet hw3s.pdf is the way to go. On the solution they start by saying that height is maximized when dy/dt = 0, so they assert that dy/dt at the wall must be zero. I'm skeptical of their approach. Here's my work: 20160202_133154.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Ty,

Can read the exercise and the book solution. Agree. Hard to read your writing, could you type it out ?

4. Feb 15, 2016 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

tycoon515, I agree with your answer. The max height on the wall does not correspond to the max height of the trajectory.

5. Feb 15, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

o:) o:) o:)
    TSny read better than I. Once I turned your page over 90 degrees it became legible. Book answer is way wrong.
    Hats off for your work !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted