Kinematics - Packing falling from plane to ship type problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the correct velocity (V) of a package being dropped from a ship, given its initial velocity (U) and acceleration (a), and the height (H) of the ship. The conversation outlines equations for the movement of the package in the x, y, and z directions, and gives hints for solving the problem. Ultimately, the correct answer is V=10U.
btbam91
[PLAIN]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1236/kinema.jpg Focusing on the plane first:

When the package is let go, it has a Vy of V, no acceleration, so y=Vy*t

In the z direction:

a=-g
Vz=-gt
z=.5H-.5gt^2

In the x direction:

x=0

Now for the ship:

Given is Vs=Vx=U-at
x=(1/20)*H+Ut-.5at^2y=H

z=0Did I set these up correctly?

Where do I go from here?

The answer is V=10U

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, finally I got the correct answer. I'll give hints.

Hint 1: don't think in terms of vectors, think in terms of distance versus time.
Hint 2: get an equation in H,U and a.

1. How does the velocity of the falling object change with time?

The velocity of the falling object changes with time according to the acceleration due to gravity. As the object falls, its velocity increases due to the constant pull of gravity. This means that the object will continue to accelerate until it reaches its terminal velocity.

2. How does the distance traveled by the falling object depend on the initial velocity?

The distance traveled by the falling object depends on both the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity. The higher the initial velocity, the farther the object will travel before reaching the ground. However, the acceleration due to gravity remains constant regardless of the initial velocity.

3. How can I calculate the time it takes for the object to reach the ground?

The time it takes for the object to reach the ground can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the initial height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that there is no air resistance.

4. Will the falling object reach a constant velocity?

Yes, the falling object will eventually reach a constant velocity known as the terminal velocity. This is when the upward force of air resistance is equal to the downward force of gravity, resulting in a net force of zero and a constant velocity.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of the falling object?

Air resistance plays a significant role in the motion of the falling object. As the object falls, it experiences a force of air resistance that opposes its motion, which increases as the object's velocity increases. This ultimately leads to the object reaching a constant velocity, known as terminal velocity, where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity.