Incline Plane Problem: Determining Velocity of a Mass at Height h1

In summary: I continue to integrate the velocity vector to come up with the position vector?Yes, you should integrate the velocity vector to find the position vector.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

A mass slides on a frictionless plane inclined at an angle theta from the horizontal. The mass starts from rest at a height h(1)+h(2) , then slides off the ramp at height h(1).

I will post the link so you can visualized the problem

http://courses.ncsu.edu/py411/lec/001/

What is the velocity vector of the mass when the mass is at height h1 (as the mass leaves the ramp?)

Homework Equations

Force equations , Mechanical Energy equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I apply to methods to determined the velocity of mass : Forces equations and Mechanical Energy equations. I will start with Force equations

y component: F(normal)-mg cos(theta)=0, nothing moves in y direction

x-components: mg sin(theta)-0=m*a=> a=g*sin(theta) ; next thing I did was integrate a to get v and now v = gt*sin(theta). My prof said he wanted my v in vector form, meaning I think he wants the velocity , in the x, y and z directions. so v= (gt sin(theta))x + (gt cos(theta)+0 z.

Now I will find the velocity the alternative way:

(K(f)-K(i))+(U(f)-U(i))=0=> ((.5*m*v^2)-0)+(0-m*g*h2))=0 +> v=sqrt(2*g*h2). Both methods lead me to different velocities. What did I do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Benzoate said:
x-components: mg sin(theta)-0=m*a=> a=g*sin(theta) ; next thing I did was integrate a to get v and now v = gt*sin(theta).
You found the speed as a function of time (assuming it starts from rest). What you need is the speed at the end of the ramp. Keep going.

And note that that velocity will be parallel to the ramp, so find its components properly.

Doc Al said:
You found the speed as a function of time (assuming it starts from rest). What you need is the speed at the end of the ramp. Keep going.

And note that that velocity will be parallel to the ramp, so find its components properly.

should I continue to integrate the velocity vector to come up with the position vector? Now I have an equation that looks like this:

gt^2/2*sin(theta)=x, x being the length of the ramp I guess

gt^2/2*(h2/sqrt((h2)^2+x^2))=sqrt((h2)^2+x^2)) => t= sqrt(2*((h2)^2+x^2)/g*h2)) and now I can plug t into v=gt*sin(theta) right?

Right idea. But you want to eliminate x, so rewrite it in terms of h2 and theta. Then be sure to simplify the final expression, so you can compare it with your other solution.

Related to Incline Plane Problem: Determining Velocity of a Mass at Height h1

1. What is an incline plane problem?

An incline plane problem is a type of physics problem that involves a mass moving along an inclined plane. In these problems, the goal is often to determine the velocity of the mass at a certain height on the plane.

2. How is the velocity of a mass on an incline plane determined?

The velocity of a mass on an incline plane can be determined by using the principles of motion and forces, such as Newton's Second Law and the Law of Conservation of Energy. By considering the forces acting on the mass, such as gravity and friction, and using equations like F=ma and E=1/2mv^2, the velocity can be calculated.

3. What is the significance of the height h1 in the incline plane problem?

The height h1 in the incline plane problem represents the vertical distance from the starting point of the mass to the point where its velocity is being measured. It is an important factor in determining the velocity of the mass, as it affects the amount of gravitational potential energy and the angle of the incline, both of which impact the final velocity.

4. Are there any assumptions made in solving incline plane problems?

Yes, there are often assumptions made in solving incline plane problems. Some common assumptions include ignoring air resistance, assuming a frictionless surface, and treating the mass as a point object rather than a three-dimensional object. These assumptions allow for simpler equations and calculations, but may not accurately reflect real-world situations.

5. Can the incline plane problem be solved using different methods?

Yes, there are multiple ways to solve an incline plane problem. Some common methods include using trigonometry to break down the forces into components, using energy conservation equations, and using vector analysis. Each method may be more suitable for different types of incline plane problems, so it is important to understand and be proficient in various problem-solving techniques.