Incline Plane Problem: Determining Velocity of a Mass at Height h1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Benzoate
Messages
420
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A mass slides on a frictionless plane inclined at an angle theta from the horizontal. The mass starts from rest at a height h(1)+h(2) , then slides off the ramp at height h(1).

I will post the link so you can visualized the problem

http://courses.ncsu.edu/py411/lec/001/

What is the velocity vector of the mass when the mass is at height h1 (as the mass leaves the ramp?)


Homework Equations



Force equations , Mechanical Energy equations



The Attempt at a Solution



I apply to methods to determined the velocity of mass : Forces equations and Mechanical Energy equations. I will start with Force equations

y component: F(normal)-mg cos(theta)=0, nothing moves in y direction

x-components: mg sin(theta)-0=m*a=> a=g*sin(theta) ; next thing I did was integrate a to get v and now v = gt*sin(theta). My prof said he wanted my v in vector form, meaning I think he wants the velocity , in the x, y and z directions. so v= (gt sin(theta))x + (gt cos(theta)+0 z.

Now I will find the velocity the alternative way:

(K(f)-K(i))+(U(f)-U(i))=0=> ((.5*m*v^2)-0)+(0-m*g*h2))=0 +> v=sqrt(2*g*h2). Both methods lead me to different velocities. What did I do wrong?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Benzoate said:
x-components: mg sin(theta)-0=m*a=> a=g*sin(theta) ; next thing I did was integrate a to get v and now v = gt*sin(theta).
You found the speed as a function of time (assuming it starts from rest). What you need is the speed at the end of the ramp. Keep going.

And note that that velocity will be parallel to the ramp, so find its components properly.
 
Doc Al said:
You found the speed as a function of time (assuming it starts from rest). What you need is the speed at the end of the ramp. Keep going.

And note that that velocity will be parallel to the ramp, so find its components properly.

should I continue to integrate the velocity vector to come up with the position vector? Now I have an equation that looks like this:

gt^2/2*sin(theta)=x, x being the length of the ramp I guess

gt^2/2*(h2/sqrt((h2)^2+x^2))=sqrt((h2)^2+x^2)) => t= sqrt(2*((h2)^2+x^2)/g*h2)) and now I can plug t into v=gt*sin(theta) right?
 
Right idea. But you want to eliminate x, so rewrite it in terms of h2 and theta. Then be sure to simplify the final expression, so you can compare it with your other solution.