Kinematics Question Involving Submarine

In summary, a submarine can use sonar to determine its distance from other objects by measuring the time between the emission of a sound pulse and the detection of its echo. By measuring the time between successive echo receptions of a regularly timed set of pings, the submarine's speed can also be determined. In this scenario, where the submarine is traveling at a constant velocity in the eastern Mediterranean Sea, sending out pings every 2.00 s and receiving echoes every 1.98 s, the speed of the submarine can be calculated using the equation velocity = distance/time. However, since the direction of the reflecting cliff is not given, only the component of the submarine's velocity in that direction can be determined.
ahsanxr

Homework Statement

A submarine can use sonar (sound traveling through water) to determine its distance from other objects. The time between the emission of a sound pulse (a “ping”) and the detection of its echo can be used to determine such distances. Alternatively, by measuring the time between successive echo receptions of a regularly timed set of pings, the submarine’s speed may be determined by comparing the time between the echos to the time between pings. Assume you are the sonar operator in a submarine traveling at a constant velocity underwater. Your boat is in the eastern Mediterranean Sea, where the speed of sound is known to be 1522 m/s. If you send out pings every 2.00 s, and your apparatus receives echoes reflected from an undersea cliff every 1.98 s, how fast is your submarine traveling?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was I tried to find the distance the cliff was from the submarine (1522x0.99)=1506.78 m. Although I'm not sure whether this applies when the submarine is moving. I am stuck and do not know what to do next. Please help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find any equations in your textbook that you would consider relevant for this problem? Perhaps something that relates speed and distance ...

I think it is simple. Distance need not come into the calculation - in any case there is not the data to calculate it with in your example. Think, if the sub were stationary its 2sec interval emitted pulses would be received back echo one every 2 sec. whatever the distance.

Edit: and from this data you can get only the (component of) velocity in the direction of the reflecting cliff. You'd have to know what direction that is relative to the one you are traveling in. They could ask you what you'd have to do in the boat to find that out.

Last edited:

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is kinematics applicable to submarines?

Kinematics is used to study the motion of submarines, including their speed, acceleration, and direction of movement. It is also used to calculate the position of a submarine at any given time.

3. What are the key factors that affect the kinematics of a submarine?

The key factors that affect the kinematics of a submarine include its propulsion system, shape and size, mass, and the density and viscosity of the surrounding water.

4. How does the kinematics of a submarine differ from other objects?

The kinematics of a submarine differs from other objects due to its ability to move in three dimensions and its ability to change depth. This adds an additional level of complexity to the calculations involved.

5. How do scientists measure and analyze the kinematics of a submarine?

Scientists use various instruments and techniques, such as sonar, radar, and GPS, to track the position, speed, and direction of a submarine. They also use mathematical equations and computer simulations to analyze and predict the kinematics of a submarine.