1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic and potential energy (satellite low orbit)

1. Dec 15, 2015 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown.
    Hello, I have this problem statement : "Due to air drag, the radius of a satellite’s circular orbit decreases from r to r - △r, where the positive quantity △r is much less than r. The mass of the satellite is m. Show that the increase in orbital speed is △v = +(△r/2)[(GM/r^3)^1/2]; that the change in kinetic energy is △K = + (GMm/2r^2); that the change in gravitational potential energy is △U = -2△K= - (GMm/r^2)△r; and that the amount of work done by the force of air drag is W = - (GMm/2r^2)△r."
    Well, I did the derivative for the velocity equation and I got v' = -(1/2)[(GM/r^3)^1/2], but another way to solve it could be using ""r - △r = (r - △r/r)r = (1-△r/r)r"", my problem is that I don't know how to apply that to the velocity equation.

Doing the derivative of the velocity I get the given results in the problem statement for the kinetic and potential energy, but if instead of doing the derivative...which other method could I use to get the same results?

△K = + (GMm/2r^2)
    △U = -2△K= - (GMm/r^2)△r

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand that approach, and the units do not match, so the formula cannot be right (probably just a typo however). What is the goal of that transformation?

4. Dec 15, 2015 #3
    Instead of use r as the unknown radius, use r - △r because the statement given says:
    Due to air drag, the radius of a satellite’s circular orbit decreases from r to r - △r, where the positive quantity △r is much less than r.

But maybe I'm wrong and the only way to demonstrate that the variation of velocity is:
    △v = +(△r/2)[(GM/r^3)^1/2]
    Is by using derivation.

Ps: this problem is from the book of Sears Zemansky University Physics Vol. I

5. Dec 15, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

You can calculate the velocity at radius ##r-\Delta r## and at radius ##r## independently, of course, but approximating this to first order is very similar to taking the derivative.

6. Dec 15, 2015 #5
    Okay, thank you :)!
    Another question, for the kinetic and potential energy...should I derivate the equations too?

7. Dec 15, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Something like a derivative of some equation is probably useful. You don't need it, but it helps.

8. Dec 15, 2015 #7
    I'm so grateful for your help, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted