Kinetic and potential energy (satellite low orbit)

In summary, the author is trying to find how the air drag affects the satellite's orbit, and is asking if there is a way to solve for the velocity without doing the derivative. They explain that there is a way to approximate the velocity at different radii, and that doing the derivative would be similar to using first order approximation.
lucphysics
Thread moved from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Hello, I have this problem statement : "Due to air drag, the radius of a satellite’s circular orbit decreases from r to r - △r, where the positive quantity △r is much less than r. The mass of the satellite is m. Show that the increase in orbital speed is △v = +(△r/2)[(GM/r^3)^1/2]; that the change in kinetic energy is △K = + (GMm/2r^2); that the change in gravitational potential energy is △U = -2△K= - (GMm/r^2)△r; and that the amount of work done by the force of air drag is W = - (GMm/2r^2)△r."
Well, I did the derivative for the velocity equation and I got v' = -(1/2)[(GM/r^3)^1/2], but another way to solve it could be using ""r - △r = (r - △r/r)r = (1-△r/r)r"", my problem is that I don't know how to apply that to the velocity equation.

Doing the derivative of the velocity I get the given results in the problem statement for the kinetic and potential energy, but if instead of doing the derivative...which other method could I use to get the same results?

△K = + (GMm/2r^2)
△U = -2△K= - (GMm/r^2)△r

Physics news on Phys.org
lucphysics said:
but another way to solve it could be using ""r - △r = (r - △r/r)r = (1-△r/r)r"", my problem is that I don't know how to apply that to the velocity equation.
I don't understand that approach, and the units do not match, so the formula cannot be right (probably just a typo however). What is the goal of that transformation?

Instead of use r as the unknown radius, use r - △r because the statement given says:
Due to air drag, the radius of a satellite’s circular orbit decreases from r to r - △r, where the positive quantity △r is much less than r.

But maybe I'm wrong and the only way to demonstrate that the variation of velocity is:
△v = +(△r/2)[(GM/r^3)^1/2]
Is by using derivation.

Ps: this problem is from the book of Sears Zemansky University Physics Vol. I

You can calculate the velocity at radius ##r-\Delta r## and at radius ##r## independently, of course, but approximating this to first order is very similar to taking the derivative.

Okay, thank you :)!
Another question, for the kinetic and potential energy...should I derivate the equations too?

Something like a derivative of some equation is probably useful. You don't need it, but it helps.

I'm so grateful for your help, thank you!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated as half of the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity.

2. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. In the case of a satellite in low orbit, it is the energy stored in the gravitational field of the Earth.

3. How does a satellite's kinetic energy change in low orbit?

In low orbit, a satellite's kinetic energy remains constant since it maintains a constant speed. However, its potential energy changes as it moves closer to or further away from the Earth's surface.

4. How do kinetic and potential energy work together to keep a satellite in orbit?

A satellite's kinetic energy allows it to maintain a constant speed, while its potential energy helps it maintain a stable orbit around the Earth. If either of these energies were to change significantly, it could cause the satellite to move out of orbit.

5. How is kinetic and potential energy related to the conservation of energy principle in a satellite in low orbit?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In the case of a satellite in low orbit, the kinetic and potential energies are constantly changing, but their sum remains constant, in accordance with this principle.