Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that in parabolic coordinates [itex]\alpha,\beta[/itex] the kinetic energy is [itex]T=m/8(\alpha+\beta)(\dot\alpha^2/\alpha+\dot\beta^2/\beta)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Parabolic coordinates are defined as follows: [itex]\alpha=r+x, \beta=r-x[/itex] with [itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to proceed in this situation: in simpler case (spherical or cylindrical coordinates) I write down the three components of velocity using geometrical intuition (e.g. [itex]v_\rho=\dot \rho, v_\phi=\rho \dot\phi,v_z=\dot z[/itex], because I see they are right...). What if I get only the definition of the new coordinates?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to physics forums.

I think the key here is to get x and y in terms of [itex]\alpha, \beta[/itex]. And you hopefully already know how to express the kinetic energy in x, y coordinates, right?

4. Jul 16, 2011 #3
    That's right! I check explicitly and it works. Now that I have the kinetic energy, it will be doable to write down the equations of motion. Thank you.

5. Jul 16, 2011 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook