Kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates

In summary, parabolic coordinates are defined as \alpha = r + x and \beta = r - x, where r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}. The kinetic energy in these coordinates is T = m/8(\alpha + \beta)(\dot{\alpha}^2/\alpha + \dot{\beta}^2/\beta). To proceed with solving for the equations of motion, we can express x and y in terms of \alpha, \beta and use the known expression for kinetic energy in x, y coordinates. This is a college level course in classical mechanics and further posts should be directed to the Advanced Physics area.
QuArK21343

Homework Statement

Prove that in parabolic coordinates [itex]\alpha,\beta[/itex] the kinetic energy is [itex]T=m/8(\alpha+\beta)(\dot\alpha^2/\alpha+\dot\beta^2/\beta)[/itex]

Homework Equations

Parabolic coordinates are defined as follows: [itex]\alpha=r+x, \beta=r-x[/itex] with [itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to proceed in this situation: in simpler case (spherical or cylindrical coordinates) I write down the three components of velocity using geometrical intuition (e.g. [itex]v_\rho=\dot \rho, v_\phi=\rho \dot\phi,v_z=\dot z[/itex], because I see they are right...). What if I get only the definition of the new coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to physics forums.

QuArK21343 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that in parabolic coordinates [itex]\alpha,\beta[/itex] the kinetic energy is [itex]T=m/8(\alpha+\beta)(\dot\alpha^2/\alpha+\dot\beta^2/\beta)[/itex]

Homework Equations

Parabolic coordinates are defined as follows: [itex]\alpha=r+x, \beta=r-x[/itex] with [itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to proceed in this situation: in simpler case (spherical or cylindrical coordinates) I write down the three components of velocity using geometrical intuition (e.g. [itex]v_\rho=\dot \rho, v_\phi=\rho \dot\phi,v_z=\dot z[/itex], because I see they are right...). What if I get only the definition of the new coordinates?

I think the key here is to get x and y in terms of [itex]\alpha, \beta[/itex]. And you hopefully already know how to express the kinetic energy in x, y coordinates, right?

That's right! I check explicitly and it works. Now that I have the kinetic energy, it will be doable to write down the equations of motion. Thank you.

In order to prove the given equation for kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates, we can use the transformation equations for velocity in these coordinates. In parabolic coordinates, the velocity components are given by:

v_\alpha = \dot\alpha = \dot r + \dot x = \dot r + \dot\beta

v_\beta = \dot\beta = \dot r - \dot x = \dot r - \dot\alpha

Using these equations, we can rewrite the kinetic energy equation in terms of the velocity components in parabolic coordinates:

T = \frac{1}{2} m (v_\alpha^2 + v_\beta^2) = \frac{1}{2} m (\dot\alpha^2 + \dot\beta^2) = \frac{1}{2} m [(\dot r + \dot\beta)^2 + (\dot r - \dot\alpha)^2]

Expanding and simplifying, we get:

T = \frac{1}{2} m [2\dot r^2 + 2\dot\beta^2 + 2\dot r\dot\beta - 2\dot r\dot\alpha - 2\dot\alpha\dot\beta]

Using the definition of parabolic coordinates, we can substitute \dot r = \dot\alpha + \dot\beta and simplify further to get:

T = \frac{1}{2} m [2(\dot\alpha + \dot\beta)^2 + 2\dot\beta^2 + 2(\dot\alpha + \dot\beta)\dot\beta - 2(\dot\alpha + \dot\beta)\dot\alpha - 2\dot\alpha\dot\beta]

T = \frac{1}{2} m [2(\dot\alpha^2 + \dot\beta^2 + 2\dot\alpha\dot\beta) + 2\dot\beta^2 - 2\dot\alpha^2 - 2\dot\alpha\dot\beta]

T = \frac{1}{2} m [2(\dot\alpha^2 + \dot\beta^2) + 2\dot\beta^2 - 2\dot\alpha^2]

T = m(\dot\alpha^2 + \dot\beta^2)

Finally, substituting the definitions

What is kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates?

Kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates is a type of energy that an object possesses due to its motion in a parabolic path. It is a form of energy that is associated with an object's mass and velocity.

How is kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates different from other forms of kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates is different from other forms of kinetic energy, such as linear or rotational kinetic energy, because it takes into account the specific path of an object's motion in a parabolic trajectory. This means that the kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates will vary depending on the shape and size of the parabolic path.

What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates is E = ½ mv², where E is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object in the parabolic path. This formula is similar to the formula for calculating linear kinetic energy, but it takes into account the specific path of the object's motion.

What are some real-world examples of kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates?

One example of kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates is a projectile, such as a baseball or a bullet, moving through the air in a parabolic path. Another example is a roller coaster going over a parabolic hill, where the kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates will be highest at the bottom of the hill and decrease as the roller coaster reaches the peak of the hill.

How is kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates used in scientific research?

Kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates is used in scientific research to understand the motion of objects in curved paths, such as projectiles or particles in a magnetic field. It is also used in engineering applications, such as designing roller coasters or other machines that follow a parabolic trajectory.