1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy in parabolic coordinates

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that in parabolic coordinates [itex]\alpha,\beta[/itex] the kinetic energy is [itex]T=m/8(\alpha+\beta)(\dot\alpha^2/\alpha+\dot\beta^2/\beta)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Parabolic coordinates are defined as follows: [itex]\alpha=r+x, \beta=r-x[/itex] with [itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to proceed in this situation: in simpler case (spherical or cylindrical coordinates) I write down the three components of velocity using geometrical intuition (e.g. [itex]v_\rho=\dot \rho, v_\phi=\rho \dot\phi,v_z=\dot z[/itex], because I see they are right...). What if I get only the definition of the new coordinates?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to physics forums.

I think the key here is to get x and y in terms of [itex]\alpha, \beta[/itex]. And you hopefully already know how to express the kinetic energy in x, y coordinates, right?

4. Jul 16, 2011 #3
    That's right! I check explicitly and it works. Now that I have the kinetic energy, it will be doable to write down the equations of motion. Thank you.

5. Jul 16, 2011 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook