Acceleration of a uniform solid sphere rolling down incline

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of a uniform solid sphere rolling without slipping down an incline, using the Lagrangian method. The kinetic energy and potential energy of the sphere are calculated, and the Euler-Lagrange equation is used to find the acceleration. The final expression for the linear acceleration is obtained by multiplying the angular acceleration by the radius of the sphere.
vbrasic

Homework Statement

Find the acceleration of a uniform solid sphere (of mass ##m## and radius ##R##) rolling without slipping down an incline at angle ##\alpha## using the Lagrangian method.

Homework Equations

Euler-Lagrange equation which says, $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial q}=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{q}},$$ where ##q## is some generalized coordinate.

The Attempt at a Solution

A solid sphere rolling without slipping down an incline admits two types of kinetic energy. The first is associated with its rotation and is given by $$\frac{1}{2}I\dot{\theta}^2.$$ For a uniform solid sphere, $$I=\frac{2}{5}mR^2,$$ so the kinetic energy associated with rotation is $$\frac{1}{5}mR^2\dot{\theta}^2$$ The other type of kinetic energy it admits is the translational kinetic energy associated with the motion of the center of mass. Let the distance traveled by the com down the ramp be given by ##x##. We have that ##x=R\theta## (i.e. arc length). So, $$\dot{x}=R\dot{\theta}.$$ So, linear kinetic energy is given by $$\frac{1}{2}mR^2\dot{\theta}^2.$$ Overall then, $$T=\frac{3}{5}mR^2\dot{\theta}^2.$$ The potential energy is simply given by ##mgh##, where I define ##h## to be the height of the com. We have that the height is given by, $$h=-x\sin{\alpha}=-R\theta\sin{\alpha}.$$ So, the potential energy is $$-mgR\theta\sin{\alpha}.$$ So, the Lagrangian is, $$\mathcal{L}=\frac{3}{5}mR^2\dot{\theta}^2+mgR\theta\sin{\alpha}.$$ Then, using the Euler-Lagrange equation, we have that $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\theta}=mgR\sin{\alpha},$$ and, $$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\theta}}=\frac{6}{5}mR^2\ddot{\theta}.$$ We have, $$mgR\sin{\alpha}=\frac{6}{5}mR^2\ddot{\theta}.$$ Rearranging for ##\ddot{\theta}## gives $$\ddot{\theta}=\frac{5}{6}\frac{g}{R}\sin{\alpha}=\ddot{\theta}.$$ To find the linear acceleration, is all I need to do multiply this expression by ##R##?

Physics news on Phys.org
##T## is incorrect.
$$\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{2}=\frac{7}{10}$$
vbrasic said:
To find the linear acceleration, is all I need to do multiply this expression by ##R##?
Yes, from ##x=R \theta##, ##\ddot x=R \ddot \theta##.

Likes vbrasic

1. What factors affect the acceleration of a uniform solid sphere rolling down an incline?

The acceleration of a uniform solid sphere rolling down an incline is affected by several factors, including the mass of the sphere, the angle of the incline, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

2. How is the acceleration of a uniform solid sphere calculated?

The acceleration of a uniform solid sphere rolling down an incline can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ / (1 + (I/mr^2)), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the incline, I is the moment of inertia of the sphere, m is the mass of the sphere, and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the acceleration of a uniform solid sphere?

The acceleration of a uniform solid sphere rolling down an incline is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the acceleration of the sphere also increases.

4. How does the mass of the sphere affect its acceleration down an incline?

The mass of the sphere has an inverse relationship with its acceleration down an incline. This means that as the mass of the sphere increases, its acceleration decreases.

5. Can the acceleration of a uniform solid sphere rolling down an incline ever be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

No, the acceleration of a uniform solid sphere rolling down an incline can never be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is a constant value, while the acceleration of the sphere is affected by other factors such as the angle of the incline and the mass of the sphere.