1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy in Rotational Motion Problem

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    Ok the problem is:

Energy is to be stored in a flywheel in the shape of a uniform solid disk with a radius of 1.30 m and a mass of 72.0 kg. To prevent structural failure of the flywheel, the maximum allowed radial acceleration of a point on its rim is 3600 m/s^2.

What I did was solve for the angular velocity through the radial acceleration:

3600m/s^2 = rw^2

w = 52.6 rad/s

Then I solved for the moment of inertia:

I = mr^2 = 72.0kg(1.30m)^2 = 122 kg*m^2

Finally I plugged it all into the rotational kinetic energy equation:

K = (1/2)(122m*m^2)(52.6rad/s)^2 = 1.68*10^5 J

The actual answer is 8.42*10^4, exactly half of what I got. I don't suppose someone could explain where the *(1/2) is coming from?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The moment of inertia of a disk is??????

4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    hehe (1/2)mr^2

5. Apr 7, 2010 #4
    Energy is to be stored in a flywheel in the shape of a uniform solid disk with a radius of = 1.16m and a mass of 73.0 kg. To prevent structural failure of the flywheel, the maximum allowed radial acceleration of a point on its rim is 3510 m/s^2.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SOLVE THIS FFS IVE TRIED SO MANY OPTIONS AND ITS NOT WORKING!@@!_#!@#!@!@#)!@(#*)!@(#)((!@*

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?