1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy of bow and arrow

1. Nov 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The question is if a meter stick is drawn in a bow so that it has 40 J of potential energy. When fired horizontally, the meter stick will have kinetic energy of _____.

A) Less than 40 J B) More than 40 J C) 40 J

I think it's C because of the conversation law. Energy can't be created or destroyed, but transformed. The energy is changing from potential energy to kinetic energy, but then I say it might be A.

The Winterchester Potato Cannon applies a 6000N average force to a 0.5 kg potato while the potato is in the 1.5 meter barrel. Assuming no friction, what is the change in KE of the potato?

A) 9000 J B) 6000 J C) 0J D)4500 J E) 4000J

For this question, I'm extremely confused. I don't even know what it's asking.

A pendulum is lifted so that it is raised 5 meter above its lowest position. When released, what is its maximum speed?

A) 5 m/s B) 7.07 m/s C) 10 m/3 D) 100 m/s E) need to know the mass

For this question, I think you have to know the mass because the formula is KE = 1/2mv^2. How can you figure out the maximum speed without the mass.

Last question, which of the following are not units of Power?

A) Nm/s B) J/s C) kgm2/s3 D) W E) Jm/s

I think it's C and E. I just wanted to double check just to make sure that answer was correct.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2008 #2
    1. C seems correct if P.E is attributed to the drawing of the bow alone.

2. Hint: Work Done = Force * Distance

3. mgh = 1/2mv^2, do the masses matter now?

4. Check again

Oh and welcome to PF :)
  4. Nov 27, 2008 #3
    Thank you, that helped.

For 1) I got C.

2) A

C) C

and still working on 4. =)
  5. Nov 27, 2008 #4
    and the last one is E. =]
  6. Nov 27, 2008 #5
    Looks good to me :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?