Kinetic energy of rotated cylinders

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
steffan
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



You have a figure that is combined with three figures. Two solid cylinders and one rectangle in the middle. Like this: O[]O

The two cylinders is rotating and are not sliding, so the whole figure moves to the right. The rectangle is connected with the two cylinders. Both cylinders and the rectangle has each mass M, so it will be three masses: M1=M2=M3. Also the two cylinders has the same radius: r1=r2

Proof that the kinetic energy equals to 2Mv2 (k=2Mv2)

Homework Equations



K=1/2Mv2=1/2M(r2w2)=1/2Iw2
I=1/2Mr2 (for solid cylinders)

The Attempt at a Solution



2*1/2Iw2=2*1/2*1/2Mr2*w2=
2*1/2*1/2Mv2(energy of 2 cylinders)+1/2Mv2(energy of rectangel)=1Mv2

I don't understand why it should be 2...
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi steffan! :smile:
steffan said:
2*1/2*1/2Mv2(energy of 2 cylinders)+1/2Mv2(energy of rectangel)=1Mv2

you've only included the rotational KE of the cylinders, you must add the linear KE :wink:
 
Oh, so it has both linear and rotational ke? Thanks a lot, I didn't knew that :)