Lagrangian Mechanics: Solving Homework Problem on Two Cylinders

In summary, we have a two-cylinder system consisting of a homogeneous hollow cylinder and a small, homogeneous solid cylinder rolling inside without sliding. The hollow cylinder is in a gravitational field and can be rotated around a horizontal axis. The two cylinder axes are parallel. The equilibrium positions are defined by the points C to O, B to O, and S on P O. The generalized coordinates are given by ψ for the deflection of the hollow cylinder, χ for the deflection of the solid cylinder, and ϕ for the angular position of the centroid of the solid cylinder. The constraints in this system are (R-r)ϕ + Rψ = 0 and (R-r)χ + rω = 0. The
Sang-Hyeon Han

Homework Statement

3.PNG

A homogeneous hollow cylinder (mass M, radius R) is in the gravitational field and a horizontal axis through the center P rotatably mounted (central axis of the cylinder is fixed and can be rotated). A small, homogeneous solid cylinder (mass m, radius r) is rolling inside of the hollow cylinder without sliding. The two cylinder axis are parallel
O and P are spatially fixed points and A, B, C, S are body-fixed (i.e, on the cylinders) points so that in equilibrium: C to O, B to O, S on P O.
ψ: Deflection of the hollow cylinder of the equilibrium position.
χ: Deflection of the solid cylinder from the Equilibrium.
ϕ: Angular position of the centroid of the solid cylinder.
a) Find the constraints in this two-cylinder system and define the generalized coordinates.
b) Find the Lagrangian function.
c) What are the equations of motion?
d) Determine the natural frequency of oscillation in the case of small displacements.
this is the problem. I have to solve it.

Homework Equations

I know the generalized coordinates and constraints. I found the potential energy , translational kinetic energy and rotational energy for hollow cylinder, but I don't know the rotational energy for the solid cylinder.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the angular velocity of solid cylinder is dχ/dt. so I tried to solve it, but it was not the correct answer. the solution said that dχ/dt-dϕ/dt is the angular velocity. why??

Physics news on Phys.org
Sang-Hyeon Han said:
I don't know the rotational energy for the solid cylinder.
Apply the Euler formula: ##\boldsymbol v_S=\boldsymbol v_A+\boldsymbol\omega\times\boldsymbol{AS}## to the solid cylinder. Here ##\boldsymbol v_A## is the velocity of a point of solid cylinder that lies on the hollow cylinder. This velocity is equal to the velocity of the corresponding point of the hollow cylinder. It is because of nonslipping. From this equation you can find angular velocity of the solid cylinder ##\boldsymbol \omega##

Likes Sang-Hyeon Han
You do not need so many angles. ##\psi,\varphi## are the good generalized coordinates.
I have got ##(R-r)\dot\varphi=-R\dot\psi-r\omega##

Last edited:
Likes Sang-Hyeon Han
zwierz said:
You do not need so many angles. ##\psi,\varphi## are the good generalized coordinates.
I have got ##(R-r)\dot\varphi=-R\dot\psi-r\omega##
Thank you so much.

1. What is Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of a system of particles or rigid bodies. It is based on the principle of least action and uses the Lagrangian function to determine the equations of motion of the system.

2. What is the difference between Lagrangian Mechanics and Newtonian Mechanics?

Newtonian Mechanics is based on the laws of motion and uses forces to determine the equations of motion, while Lagrangian Mechanics is based on the principle of least action and uses the Lagrangian function, which is a function of the system's position and velocity, to determine the equations of motion.

3. How do you solve a homework problem on two cylinders using Lagrangian Mechanics?

To solve a homework problem on two cylinders using Lagrangian Mechanics, you need to first identify the variables and parameters of the system, such as the mass, radius, and position of each cylinder. Then, use the Lagrangian function to determine the equations of motion for each cylinder, and solve for any unknown variables using the initial conditions given in the problem.

4. Can Lagrangian Mechanics be applied to any system?

Yes, Lagrangian Mechanics can be applied to any system, as long as the system can be described using a set of generalized coordinates and the Lagrangian function can be defined for that system.

5. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian Mechanics over other methods?

One advantage of using Lagrangian Mechanics is that it provides a more efficient and elegant way to describe the motion of a system, as it does not require the use of forces and can be applied to systems with complex geometries. It also allows for the use of constraints in the system, such as fixed or moving boundaries. Additionally, Lagrangian Mechanics is a powerful tool for solving problems in classical mechanics and can be extended to other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.