Kinetic Energy relative to total energy in SHM

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
armolinasf
Messages
195
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




(a) When the displacement in SHM is one-half the amplitude A, what fraction of the total energy is kinetic energy? What fraction is potential?




The Attempt at a Solution



I tried finding a ratio of KE/t, where t=KE+PE and PE/t but I got answers that didn't quite make sense how am I going about this the right way? As always thanks for the help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
armolinasf said:

Homework Statement




(a) When the displacement in SHM is one-half the amplitude A, what fraction of the total energy is kinetic energy? What fraction is potential?




The Attempt at a Solution



I tried finding a ratio of KE/t, where t=KE+PE and PE/t but I got answers that didn't quite make sense how am I going about this the right way? As always thanks for the help

Your statement doesn't actually say how you are going about it?