Kinetic Energy Time Derivative

In summary: Evan\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{1}{2}mv^{2})=\frac{1}{2}\frac{dm}{dt}\cdot v^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m\frac{dv^{2}}{dv}\frac{dv}{dt}This is correct.
cooev769

Homework Statement

So the first part asks to prove the time derivative of kinetic energy is dT/dt=F dot product v which I did not problem. but then the second part of the problem asks to prove that if the mass is changing with time then the time derivative of d(mT)/dt=F dot product m and I'm sure this can be correct shown in my attempt at a solution below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
If we are to assume that both kinetic energy and m and no constant with time then d(mT)/dt can be given using the product rule as = m dot T + m T dot.

m T dot will be as T dot is F dot product v = m F.v = F.p

Which is supposed to be the answer, but the first term will be non zero, given m dot is non zero, the first term goes to:

m dot 0.5 m r dot dot product r dot. This is only zero is the m dot is zero or mass or r dot is zero, but this is not a fair assumption. Hence how can his answer be correct. It seems as if he's just multipled dT/dt=F.v by m on both sides and then said well m is independent of time and hence it can go in the derivative. But his question is with m changing. Am i wrong?

Thanks

Evan

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{1}{2}mv^{2})=\frac{1}{2}\frac{dm}{dt}\cdot v^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m\frac{dv^{2}}{dv}\frac{dv}{dt} [/itex]

The forum software provides you with typesetting tools. You should use them as your post as written is not easy to follow. Proofreading your post and fixing typos wouldn't hurt either.

cooev769 said:

Homework Statement

So the first part asks to prove the time derivative of kinetic energy is dT/dt=F dot product v which I did not problem. but then the second part of the problem asks to prove that if the mass is changing with time then the time derivative of d(mT)/dt=F dot product m and I'm sure this can be correct shown in my attempt at a solution below.
How can you dot F and m? The mass m is a scalar.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
If we are to assume that both kinetic energy and m and no constant with time then d(mT)/dt can be given using the product rule as = m dot T + m T dot.

m T dot will be as T dot is F dot product v = m F.v = F.p
You derived the expression for ##\dot{T}## under the assumption the mass was constant, so you can't use it here.

Which is supposed to be the answer, but the first term will be non zero, given m dot is non zero, the first term goes to:

m dot 0.5 m r dot dot product r dot. This is only zero is the m dot is zero or mass or r dot is zero, but this is not a fair assumption. Hence how can his answer be correct. It seems as if he's just multipled dT/dt=F.v by m on both sides and then said well m is independent of time and hence it can go in the derivative. But his question is with m changing. Am i wrong?
Another approach you could take is to start by expressing the kinetic energy in terms of momentum instead of velocity.

True let me have another go :)

What is Kinetic Energy Time Derivative?

Kinetic Energy Time Derivative, also known as dTKE/dt, is a measure of the rate of change of kinetic energy over time. It is an important concept in physics and describes how the kinetic energy of a moving object changes over time.

How is Kinetic Energy Time Derivative calculated?

The Kinetic Energy Time Derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of the kinetic energy function with respect to time. This involves using calculus and the power rule to find the rate of change of kinetic energy over time.

What is the significance of Kinetic Energy Time Derivative?

Kinetic Energy Time Derivative is important because it helps us understand how the kinetic energy of a moving object changes over time. It is useful in analyzing the motion of objects and can also be used to predict the future state of a system.

How does Kinetic Energy Time Derivative relate to other concepts in physics?

Kinetic Energy Time Derivative is closely related to other concepts in physics, such as work, power, and momentum. It is also related to the principle of conservation of energy, which states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

What are some real-life applications of Kinetic Energy Time Derivative?

Kinetic Energy Time Derivative has various real-life applications, such as in analyzing the motion of objects in sports and engineering. It is also used in predicting the behavior of weather systems and in understanding the movement of particles in chemical reactions.