Kinetic Energy -- when a moving lorry breaks to avoid a collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of kinetic energy and its relationship to braking in a moving lorry to avoid a collision. There are no equations given, but the person has tried to research the possible answer. The energy from braking goes towards reducing the speed of the lorry through friction forces, and if enough force is applied, the wheels may block and leave skidmarks on the road.
Charlotte2014
Hi there, I've been given a statement in which I need to find out where Kinetic Energy goes when a moving lorry breaks to avoid a collision?There are no equations given. Only information needed to complete the question.I have tried looking around the internet to see what the possible answer could be. I understand there is an equation to find out how much kinetic energy is used. I just don't know where the energy goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the lorry break into two or more pieces or does it brake (as in come to a stop, presumably in one piece?)

Charlotte2014 said:
Hi there, I've been given a statement in which I need to find out where Kinetic Energy goes when a moving lorry breaks to avoid a collision?There are no equations given. Only information needed to complete the question.I have tried looking around the internet to see what the possible answer could be. I understand there is an equation to find out how much kinetic energy is used. I just don't know where the energy goes.
How do brakes work?
Rub your hands together. What do you notice?

Hello Charlie, and welcome to PF :)

There are no equations given. Only information needed to complete the question
Nice interpretation of the template (template? Yes, template! The one you inadvertently lost, thus blocking helpers from helping you without breaking PF rules). The idea is that you collect the relevant equations needed and list them under 2). If any equations are given in the problem statement, you can place them under 1).

Braking means reducing speed by exercising friction forces (no friction, no speed reduction: beng!). Brake hard enough and the wheels block, leaving skidmarks on the road. A lot of work is needed to make them big tyres screech broad marks on the asphalt.

I can provide an explanation for where the kinetic energy goes when a moving lorry brakes to avoid a collision. First, let's define what kinetic energy is. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In this case, the moving lorry has kinetic energy due to its speed and mass.

When the lorry brakes to avoid a collision, the kinetic energy it possesses is converted into other forms of energy. This is due to the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another.

In the case of a braking lorry, the kinetic energy is converted into heat and sound energy. This is because the brakes of the lorry generate friction, which causes the lorry to slow down. The friction between the brakes and the wheels converts the kinetic energy into heat energy, which is dissipated into the surroundings. Additionally, the screeching sound of the brakes is also a form of energy being released.

In summary, when a moving lorry brakes to avoid a collision, the kinetic energy it possesses is converted into heat and sound energy, which is then released into the surroundings. This process is essential in preventing a collision and ensuring the safety of both the lorry and other objects or individuals on the road.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on an object's mass and velocity, and is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity.

2. How does kinetic energy relate to a moving lorry?

A moving lorry possesses kinetic energy due to its mass and velocity. The greater the mass and velocity of the lorry, the greater its kinetic energy.

3. What happens to the kinetic energy when a lorry breaks to avoid a collision?

When a lorry breaks, it converts its kinetic energy into other forms of energy such as heat and sound. This is because the truck's brakes apply a force in the opposite direction of its motion, slowing it down and reducing its kinetic energy.

4. Can kinetic energy be completely eliminated?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed. Therefore, the kinetic energy of a lorry cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be converted into other forms of energy.

5. How does kinetic energy play a role in collisions?

In collisions, kinetic energy is transferred between objects. In the case of a lorry breaking to avoid a collision, the kinetic energy of the lorry is transferred to other forms of energy, such as heat and sound, as well as the object it collides with (if any). This transfer of energy can result in damage or movement of the objects involved in the collision.