Kinetic/Potential/Mechanical Energy Problems

• Thread starter k0k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: Kinetic energy is not just about the velocity of the object, it also includes the velocity of the objects' surroundings.
k0k
A human "cannon ball" in the circus is shot at a speed of 21.0 m/s at an angle of 20 degrees above the horizontal from a platform that is 15.0m above the ground.

a. If the acrobat has a mass of 56.0 kg, what is his gravitational potential energy relative to the ground when he is at the highest point of his flight? Ignore the effects of air resistance. (Ans: 9.69X10^3 J)

b. If the net in which he lands is 2.00 m above the ground, how fast is he traveling when he hits it? (Ans: 26.4m/s)

--
[Ek=Kinetic Energy, Ep=Potential Energy, Em=Total Energy]
Ep=mgh
Ek=1/2mv^2
W=Fd
Em=Ep+Ek
--
I have found both the Ep and Ek values and added he values up, but the answer isn't anywhere near close. There is something more to it I believe, but I'm not even fully sure how Potiential energy and Kinetic energy are related. I have no idea whether the angle is relevant or not eithier. Explanations would be great help.

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks~

Physics news on Phys.org
For a) It's the vertical component of initial velocity that makes sense.
[tex]0 - v_{0y}^2 = 2( - g)h_0[/tex]
with h0 is his highest reach relative to the 15-m platform.
Then the gravitational pe can be deduced easily

For b) You should also pay attention to the horizontal component [tex]v_{0x}[/tex]. It remains unchange during his flight
Now you need to find the vertical component [tex]v_y[/tex]
of the velocity when he hits the net using the law of conservation of energy.
Finally, add up the two components [tex]v = \sqrt {v_{0x}^2 + v_{_y }^2 }[/tex] and you're done.
Hope this helps :-)

Last edited:
[double post]

Sorry, but I still don't understand. : /
How exactly do I start off? What values do I use to calculate mechanical energy then Potential?..
What about the angle given?..

You start by calculating the vertical & horizontal components of its initial velocity.

Okay, how does that help me for question a. though?. How do I set up the equation after figuring out the components?.
(Please bear with me, I'm kinda slow at this.. : / )

k0k said:
Okay, how does that help me for question a. though?. How do I set up the equation after figuring out the components?.
(Please bear with me, I'm kinda slow at this.. : / )

FIY, when he is at his highest point, his velocity is zero, thus his kinetic energy equals zero and his gravitational potential energy is maximum.

You can either use the kinematic equation: [tex]v_{y}^2 - v_{0y}^2 = 2a(x - x_0 )[\tex]
where vy=0 and a=-g (vertically, the acrobat undergoes free-falling motion) or use the law of conservation of energy with respect to the platform:[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{0y}^2 = mgh_0[\tex]

Okay, I am using the law of conversation of energy.
I first look for the total energy from the beginning of the platform using:

Em= Ep+Ek
Em=(mgh)+(mv^2 X .5 )
Em= (56.0kg)(-9.81m/s^2)(15.0m)+ (56.0kg)(21.0m/s^2)(0.5)
Em= 4107.6J

Then, I calculate the highest point but since the kinetic energy at the highest point is zero.
Em=Ep+Ek
Em-Ek= Ep
4107.6J - 0= 4107.6J

I end up getting a potential energy of 4107.6J, not the answer 9.69X10^3 J.

Last edited:
Nah, don't get me wrong
You should always substitute a POSITIVE value for g, say, g=+9.81 m/s^2

And as we are investigating vertically, v0y= v0*sin(theta)=21*sin20. It should work fine now :-)

I end up getting 20588.4J instead. : /
--
NEVERMIND. I GOT IT. : )
Thanks

Last edited:
k0k said:
Then, I calculate the highest point but since the kinetic energy at the highest point is zero.
No, it is not. The body is moving horizontally as well as vertically. Only the vertical component of its velocity is zero at the highest point. So only its vertical K.E. is converted into P.E.

I think you realized this, but I didn't want to let it slip by without comment.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body from rest to its current velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work in the future.

4. How is potential energy related to kinetic energy?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. When an object falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. When an object is lifted, its potential energy increases while its kinetic energy decreases.

5. How are mechanical energy problems solved?

To solve mechanical energy problems, one must apply the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This means that the total mechanical energy (kinetic energy + potential energy) of a system remains constant, and can be used to solve for unknown values.