Find the potential gravitational and kinetic energy of a ball after 0.4 seconds

In summary, the potential energy of a 3.0 kg metal ball which is 3.5 m above the ground is 102.9 J. The kinetic energy of the ball is 14.7 J after it is let go and has fallen for 0.4 seconds.
Darth Poison

Homework Statement

A 3.0 kg metal ball is held 3.5m above the ground. Find the potential gravitational and kinetic energy of the ball after it is let go and has fallen for 0.4s

Homework Equations

EK= 1/2mv^2

EP=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay I know how to find both the kinetic and potential energy, but how does the time effect it? Is there a certain equation I have to sub it in other than the ones given. Please help :)

Potential= EP=mgh
Ep=(3.0Kg)(9.8m/s^2)(3.5m)
EP= 102.9 J

Kinetic = EK=1/2mv^2
EK=1/2(3.0kg)(9.8m/s^2)
EK=14.7 J

Physics news on Phys.org

Darth Poison said:

Homework Statement

A 3.0 kg metal ball is held 3.5m above the ground. Find the potential gravitational and kinetic energy of the ball after it is let go and has fallen for 0.4s

Homework Equations

EK= 1/2mv^2

EP=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay I know how to find both the kinetic and potential energy, but how does the time effect it? Is there a certain equation I have to sub it in other than the ones given. Please help :)

Potential= EP=mgh
Ep=(3.0Kg)(9.8m/s^2)(3.5m)
EP= 102.9 J

Kinetic = EK=1/2mv^2
EK=1/2(3.0kg)(9.8m/s^2)
EK=14.7 J

It would seem you actually don't know how to find KE.

You have substituted an acceleration value in for the velocity.

The 0.4 seconds is there as in that time the object will have fallen some distance [so you won't use 3.5 in the PE formula], and will have gained some speed - the value of which you will use in the KE formula.

Normal kinematics for falling objects is used to find the distance and speed values.

PeterO said:
It would seem you actually don't know how to find KE.

You have substituted an acceleration value in for the velocity.

The 0.4 seconds is there as in that time the object will have fallen some distance [so you won't use 3.5 in the PE formula], and will have gained some speed - the value of which you will use in the KE formula.

Normal kinematics for falling objects is used to find the distance and speed values.

Thank you for helping me realize that, I appreciate it. :D

Related to Find the potential gravitational and kinetic energy of a ball after 0.4 seconds

1. What is gravitational energy?

Gravitational energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field.

2. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

3. How do you calculate potential gravitational energy?

Potential gravitational energy can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the height at which the object is located.

4. How do you calculate kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity squared and dividing by 2.

5. What is the formula for calculating total energy?

The formula for calculating total energy is the sum of potential gravitational energy and kinetic energy.