1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetics Problem: Non-constant force (calculus)

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rock with mass m slides with initial velocity v0 on a horizontal surface. A retarding force F that the surface exerts on the rock is proportional to the square root of the instantaneous velocity of the rock (F = -kv1/2) . a) Find expression for the velocity of the rock as a function of time. b) Find expression for the position of the rock as a function of time. c) In terms of m,k, and V0 , at what time will the rock come to rest? d) In terms of m ,k and V0, what is the distance of the rock from its starting point when it comes to rest?

2. Relevant equation
    f=ma A= dv/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved parts a and b and I'm fairly certain my answers are correct.

F=−kv^(1/2)

a=dv/dt= (-kv^(1/2))/m

dv/(v^1/2)=(-kdt)/(m)

Integrate both sides and solve for the constant C

V= (k2 t2 )/ (4m2 ) - (ktv01/2)/m + v0

Then I integrated again to find position as a function of time.

The only way I can think to solve parts c and d is to solve V(t)=0 but this would require the quadratic equation and be very messy. Then, to solve part d, I would have to plug in answer to c into x(t) which is even messier. Is there another way? Am I missing something?

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not at all messy, it turns out.
    Slightly. After integrating dv/(v^1/2)=(-kdt)/(m), and determining the constant, substitute v = 0 without converting it to the quadratic form.

4. Dec 10, 2014 #3
    I made a calculation error and didn't realize until now that solving v(t) with a quadratic actually comes out neatly.

5. Dec 10, 2014 #4
    Thanks for your help

6. Dec 10, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

My pleasure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted