1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Physics differential equation

1. Oct 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m, which has an initial velocity v0 at time t = 0, slides on a horizontal surface. If the sliding friction force f exerted on the block by the surface is directly proportional to its velocity (that is, f = -kv),
    A) Write a differential equation for the velocity v in terms of the given variables and fundamental constants.
    B) Find the acceleration a of the block in terms of m, k, and v.
    C) The speed v of the block as a function of time t.
    D) The total distance the block slides.

2. Relevant equations
    F = m*a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand why B is a = (-kv)/m, and I know the answer to a is dv/dt = -kv/m but I don't know why, and I have no idea how to solve for velocity. Assuming I get a function for the velocity, what general equation would I use to solve for the total distance? I originally thought x-x0 = v0*t + (1/2)*a*t^2, but the acceleration isn't uniform.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2015 #2
    You have two options:
    1. You can use separation of variables if you're familiar with it.
    2. The solution to linear ODEs with constant coefficients is found by assuming [itex]v=e^{s t}[/itex] and finding out what [itex]s[/itex] is.

4. Oct 1, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What equation connects a with v?
    Rearrange the equation to have all the references to v on one side and all references to t on the other. This is the "separation of variables" method axmls refers to.
    You did well to realise you cannot use the SUVAT equations here.
    Suppose you have velocity as a function of time, v=f(t). What differential equation relates velocity to distance? (This is very like the first question I asked you in this post.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted